JPI EDM-900 C model installation thread

Hey, short body (mostly C) owners!

We just picked up a JPI EDM-900. Ripping out all the instruments it replaces, including new fuel transducers. Where did you put yours in the panel? Photos, words, sketches--looking for ideas and comments.

Second question: Does anyone know if the remote display (RAD) for the 930 will function with the 900? It might change where we mount the 900.

This is one of those projects where I am so happy to have the non 201 and later windshield. The work will be easy looking into the back of the panel standing up (grin).

Looking for your experiences, advice, and suggestions.

Greg and Lawrence

It’s not the plane you guys fly, it’s the pilots...

Most people prefer the JPI900 to be right in the six pack... or right next to it...

A few have gone with the 930 on the co pilot panel side...

Around here, many people create a mock-up of their panel and place a pic of the 900 in the spot they think they will use...

Then await comments...

It is a great mod for the modern M20C!

Best regards,

-a-

Freeing up space often comes with an Aspen or two... find @Oscar Avalle for a great Forever-plane M20C...

Often, around here... the mere mention of updating panels in classic Mooneys... would elicit a response from @Marauder And Bob @Bob_Belville would volley back an interesting response...

Both of these gents had electronics and engineering backgrounds... which always helps for these projects...

I would also invite @DXB to the conversation... Dev has a memorable forever-plane M20C as well... probably the first JPI900 I had seen installed in a short body...

If you click on these names, you can probably find their panel pics in their archives... there are also a few videos to go with that...

Stand-by for other MSers to join the fray....

If you can't get the JPI in front of the pilot... the JPI RAD delivers the key information and can be placed right up front...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, The Other Red Baron said:

We were pretty happy with the panel setup Maxwell's shop made for us:

new panel.jpg

@GWRatcliff I put my EDM 900 here, except mounted as high as possible - I think it's the single best choice.  That leaves you enough room for another instrument below it - perhaps a Nav indicator if you want.  Would suggest at least upgrading to a digital HSI (e.g. Garmin G5), so you'll no longer want 2 Nav heads.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pasturepilot said:

Another way of doing a G5 install that would eliminate another gauge would be to do a G5 attitude indicator. That'd get you off the mechanical gyro horizon and you could ditch the VSI since the G5 has one built in. 

G5 has a VSI but it isn't primary for VSI so you have to keep your old one in the panel. 

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

G5 has a VSI but it isn't primary for VSI so you have to keep your old one in the panel. 

My M20C POH makes no mention of a VSI being required at all.... 

Unless I'm reading the required equipment list all wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matt_AZ said:

I put mine right under my gear lever. Luckily I had a few open slots in my panel so it fit perfectly. I’m happy with the placement since it’s front & center. It opened up the co-pilot side for a backup iPad. 

84D1D0AF-AB96-4C04-8B53-62FDA2EB7ACA.jpeg

That's pretty similar to what I did with my panel. Once I get an AP (looking like the GFC500) then I will get a new panel cut and flush mount the G5's and the EDM900. (And have it all one color instead of a hodgepodge of different ones...)

Panel.thumb.jpg.1a78776a4a442443891084121d151159.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pasturepilot said:

My M20C POH makes no mention of a VSI being required at all.... 

Unless I'm reading the required equipment list all wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. 

Huh, just learned something new today. In looking through 91.205 it doesn't look like it is required for IFR flight either. Rather than sidetrack this whole thread I'm going to start another one to get some input on IFR and VSI's.

The JPI 900 should be in front of your face where one of the nav indicators are. You will be looking at it 95% of the time of any flight.  At least I do.  Always looking at oil press and temp.  Its really all that matters on a single engine airplane.  Have it in your view, the fonts are small.  Have it in front of your face, you will be glad you did. and Dont forget to flush.

IMG_8373 New Avionics.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm just finishing up the install of mine, we haven't gotten to rearranging the panel yet, so we placed it in the original location...  I've heard really good things about placing it in the left panel, next to the six-pack...  That's a long-term goal for me.  Interestingly, I haven't seen anyone set up their panel as I hope to:

Instrument Panel Left Side EDM900 and 6-pack better.jpg

On 11/1/2020 at 8:21 PM, Skates97 said:

Huh, just learned something new today. In looking through 91.205 it doesn't look like it is required for IFR flight either. Rather than sidetrack this whole thread I'm going to start another one to get some input on IFR and VSI's.

That's why when you have a static problem, you break the vsi.  Its not a required instrument.  

Has anyone broke the glass of the VSI?

I think we all got trained the same way...

In the event of static line blockage... break the VSI glass...  and know that the Mooney cabin is under a slight vacuum...

Around MS... we get about one question each year describing possibly getting water in the static system...

But nobody asks... hey I had to smash the VSI lens, where do I get it replaced?

201er has a great video of water in the static line from a rain storm... what the affect on the instruments looked like...

The modern world has gone to alternate static sources... so don’t go bashing the rental’s G500txi screen... :)

Hmmmm... that brings up an interesting question... @PilotFun101 did you install an alternate static source when updating your ship to the Dynon screens...?

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

and know that the Mooney cabin is under a slight vacuum

I believe this to be true for any plane; isn't this the reason that with alt static the altimeter reads a couple dozen feet off?

• Like 1