Used Garmin G500 Question

V1VRV2

The new g500 does not require a unlock for the gad43 only for the gad43e.  However, I think the old system requires an unlock for both units. Having said that if it was pulled out of a working system the cards/system should already be functional.  The gad43 is a good match for your 225 because it does not allow for altitude preselect...no reason to pay extra for the 43e. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends on whether the previous owner/seller opted to keep SVT and/or Jeppesen enablements with the unit, or move them to, say, a G500txi.  If either or both cards were transferred to another compatible unit, and you bought the non/TXi G500, you’d need to purchase separate enablement cards.

Check with @Alan Fox as he has a G500 system available for purchase...below thread.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses... just the info I was looking for. The G500 from Allen is the one I’m looking at purchasing. Just trying to figure out how this enablement card system works. It states in the sale thread that it is equipped with SVT so from what Im gathering the SVT enablement card must be present. If not then I would have to buy a new SVT card off of eBay since it isn’t offered by Garmin anymore it seems. It also cost $4,800 new! 

• 2 months later...

salve ragazzi, devo decidere cosa installare a bordo di un PA32 RT 300 del 89. Un po vecchiotto ma ha solo 250 di motore

Ho due King vecchi come radio e mi serve una 8.33 nav com x abbinare ad un King KFC200

Avevo pensato ad un 430 wass che ho usato x molti anni e secondo me e' un gran strumento perche hai tutto ma mi viene sconsigliato perche vecchio e non si aggiorna. Ma chi nse ne fotte senon si aggiorna ? Ho un amico che mi inserisce anche tutti gli VFR che possono sempre servire.

Voi cosa dite ? Radio TRIG ? G5 ma non parla con autopilota allora ? Noi abbiamo poche risorse e vogliamo spendere il minimo. GRAZIE

On 11/1/2020 at 1:40 AM, V1VRV2 said:

Thanks for the responses... just the info I was looking for. The G500 from Allen is the one I’m looking at purchasing. Just trying to figure out how this enablement card system works. It states in the sale thread that it is equipped with SVT so from what Im gathering the SVT enablement card must be present. If not then I would have to buy a new SVT card off of eBay since it isn’t offered by Garmin anymore it seems. It also cost $4,800 new! 

That one was sold , I have G600 available at this time

On 1/8/2021 at 9:54 AM, Perluc99 said:

salve ragazzi, devo decidere cosa installare a bordo di un PA32 RT 300 del 89. Un po vecchiotto ma ha solo 250 di motore

Ho due King vecchi come radio e mi serve una 8.33 nav com x abbinare ad un King KFC200

Avevo pensato ad un 430 wass che ho usato x molti anni e secondo me e' un gran strumento perche hai tutto ma mi viene sconsigliato perche vecchio e non si aggiorna. Ma chi nse ne fotte senon si aggiorna ? Ho un amico che mi inserisce anche tutti gli VFR che possono sempre servire.

Voi cosa dite ? Radio TRIG ? G5 ma non parla con autopilota allora ? Noi abbiamo poche risorse e vogliamo spendere il minimo. GRAZIE

@Perluc99’s question....

Using Google translate...

Possibly looking for a G430W... in Italy...

-a-

hi guys, I have to decide what to install on board a PA32 RT 300 from 89. A little old but it has only 250 engine

I have two old Kings as radios and I need an 8.33 nav com x to match a King KFC200

I had thought of a 430 wass that I have used for many years and in my opinion it is a great tool because you have everything but it is not recommended because it is old and does not update. But who cares if it doesn't update? I have a friend who also includes all the VFRs that can always be used.

What do you say? TRIG radio? G5 but does not speak with autopilot then? We have few resources and we want to spend the minimum. THANKS

I would look for a used GTN 650, they’re being replaced by the new version. Who knows how much longer Garmin will continue to repair the 25 year old 430. If you are spending the money to install it, seems shortsighted to install old technology. Would you install a 8-track player in your car?

The 430W should definitely update to current Navdata. I have one and the updating is fine, just a little pricey for the subscription. The problem may be that the data card went bad. The new GTN's use an SD card and it can be reformatted, but the data card for the 430/530 generally cannot be fixed. Just buy a new data card. The oldest were white label cards, now you buy an orange label card, it works in all the 430's. You need a new Skybound adapter to go with the new orange label data card.

Il 430W dovrebbe sicuramente aggiornarsi all'attuale Navdata. Ne ho uno e l'aggiornamento va bene, solo un po 'caro per l'abbonamento. Il problema potrebbe essere che la scheda dati è andata male. I nuovi GTN utilizzano una scheda SD e può essere riformattata, ma la scheda dati per il 430/530 generalmente non può essere riparata. Basta acquistare una nuova scheda dati. Le più vecchie erano carte con etichetta bianca, ora comprate una carta con etichetta arancione, funziona in tutte le 430. È necessario un nuovo adattatore Skybound da abbinare alla nuova scheda dati con etichetta arancione.

• Like 1