Runout Bravo Value

The story is long, so I'll try to keep it simple.  A friend of mine is in a Bravo partnership.  His partner passed away (in in a crash, different airplane).  Things are finally ready to get settled from the former partner's estate and selling his share in the Bravo.  The plane has always been in a hangar and flow regularly, although not as much in the last year.  Annual was just completed.  Logs are in order.

Engine is at TBO
O2 Cylinder needs to be replaced
TKS system looks ok, but when turned on leaks from the belly (maybe just a loose tube?)
Landing gear pucks are original (94 I think)
No leaks from the tanks
Paint is 7/10
Interior is 7/10
GTN750
ADSB equipped
Steam gauges, but a nice HSI and radio altimeter
Original AP, functional
LED Position/strobe

Thoughts on value?????

48 minutes ago, Boilermonkey said:

The story is long, so I'll try to keep it simple.  A friend of mine is in a Bravo partnership.  His partner passed away (in in a crash, different airplane).  Things are finally ready to get settled from the former partner's estate and selling his share in the Bravo.  The plane has always been in a hangar and flow regularly, although not as much in the last year.  Annual was just completed.  Logs are in order.

Engine is at TBO 
O2 Cylinder needs to be replaced I believe you can pick up one for
TKS system looks ok, but when turned on leaks from the belly (maybe just a loose tube?)
Landing gear pucks are original (94 I think) 
No leaks from the tanks
Paint is 7/10
Interior is 7/10
GTN750
ADSB equipped
Steam gauges, but a nice HSI and radio altimeter
Original AP, functional
LED Position/strobe

Thoughts on value?????

The TKS system is an unknown to me, but with the engine (factory rebuild, firewall forward, with installation), 02, and donuts you're probably looking at about $85-90K of costs.  The good news is that they are still trying to sell the TKS system components off a Bravo that was being salvaged on Ebay.  You may be able to save some $ if there's a component you need.  I'd say it's a $170-190K plane with all of these things fixed and a 0 time engine.  @alextstone probably isn't far off. 

Link to ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mooney-M20M-Single-Piece-Wing-TKS-Ice-Protection-System/233501386455?hash=item365dc466d7:g:yCcAAOSwPa9eTsz9

That's the entire system but they are also selling individual components. These guys have a pretty good reputation.

Edited by Davidv
  • Like 1

From experience on TKS. If it has not been used in a long time, there is no telling where you are at on it. Most likely the pumps will need O/H, figure about 6 AMU's with labor. Solenoids may be sticky, you just don't know until you get into it. I would reserve at least 8 AMU's to get TKS running if it has not been used in a long time and note I said, "at least". I was fortunate in that the seller agreed to O/H the pumps but I spent another 3 AMU's getting it right. New filter, new #1 solenoid, new pressure switches.  Oh and don't forget to look at the heated stall vane. 2 AMU's to O/H that.

If you need a pressure pot to purge it, PM me as I have one or I can show you how to build one for 150 bucks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, carusoam said:

There is another live thread around here discussing cost/prices of Bravos...

The other Bravo has been flying very low hours for a decade...

-a-

Thanks.  I've been following that thread too!   Fortunately this Bravo is documented and flown...just needs some TLC.

I figure there's about 100K AMU that needs to be invested to get the one I am looking in good shape.  I'll probably hold on to my M20C while we do that...there's going to be a lot of downtime.

Some might ask why do it?   Why not just buy one on the market?  I really need to have a partnership to make this work.  My friend was a partner in our M20C before moving up, he's a great pilot and trustworthy.  That's an intangible value and makes this a bit of a unique opportunity.  That being said, the valuation of the existing Bravo needs to be in the right ballpark.

• Like 1

Just now, carusoam said:

Having M20C experience is a great gateway to Long Body experience...

Go LB!

Best regards,

-a-

I hope so!   It was funny yesterday in a descent with a strong tailwind I had a 200kt groundspeed in our M20C.  My son pointed out, if we had the Bravo that would be the norm ;-)

Is it FIKI or just TKS?

And wet head?

Getting into a FIKI, zero time Bravo for 175 AMU would be sweet. 

My 2 cents-  you'll need to be at 90/95 to make that happen. Possibly a bit more because of the 750.

1 hour ago, JT said:

Is it FIKI or just TKS?

And wet head?

My 2 cents-  you'll need to be at 90/95 to make that happen. Possibly a bit more because of the 750.

I don't think there's a TLS out there that hasn't been converted to a -B (Bravo), wethead engine. i think mine was the last one to be converted in 2018.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JT said:

Is it FIKI or just TKS?

And wet head?

Me too, which TKS, FIKI or is it a "complete TKS System" or something like that. 

Maybe you could sell an interest in your C back to the partner you’ll have in the Bravo.  That way both of you will have access to a plane during the downtime on the Bravo and you can use the equity to pay toward the Bravo work....

• Like 2