Mooney IFR or VFR?

JimB

Mooney IFR or VFR  

112 members have voted

1. 1. How do you fly your Mooney on trips (300 miles+)

• I am only VFR rated and that's how I fly
    • I am IFR rated but am not current and only fly VFR
    • I am IFR rated but really prefer to fly VFR so I only file IFR if really necessary
    • I am IFR rated and that's the only way I fly trips in my Mooney

9 hours ago, WilliamR said:

...Really, being at 2.4 gets you really close to ATL and keeps you from setting off RAs on every inbound Delta jet. ....l

Ha!  William is definitely used to the ATL class B.  2,400', not 2,500'.  :lol:

Those in the know, get to go.

• Like 1

Spend the time and get the IFR.  If you can get an instructor that can give you the time so you can do it quickly, that is a bonus.  I knocked out mine in 6 weeks and had a blast.  I use it when I need it.  My first IFR flight was with my wife this summer when the smoke was so very thick.  Left Shelton Wa over the cascades to Coeur 'd Alene.  Never got above the smoke and at 300' agl, I was able to spot the rabbits for the ILS approach.  It was awesome!!  Saved me a week of being stuck out of town.

Are we talking about filing (IFR vs VFR) or prevailing conditions (VMC vs IMC)?

If you have the money, there is no question about whether to get your IFR ticket. It will make you a more precise pilot capable of flying in IMC safely.

For high altitude long distance Mooney flights, if the weather is VMC for the entire route of flight, I will go to the high teens and fly VFR with flight following. I get flight following for IFE backup.

If there is any question about wx along my route of flight, I file IFR. For short trips less than an hour, I stay low and fly VFR unless wx drives me to file IFR.

Lastly, as a military pilot, when I fly GA aircraft I stay out of active MOAs. If it is during the week, I'll check with the controlling agency to ensure the MOA is cold. If not, I fly around, over, or under.

All above is technique, not procedure. Use as you see fit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My guess if you want to get there quickly: VFR, if you wanna get there surely: IFR, then load of experience and local knowledge to bridge between the two when it suits you depending on weather conditions and controller/airspace load 

• Like 1