Spark Plug & Oil Change Equipment Projects

RLCarter

For the past 5 years or so I have had unlimited access (stored in my hangar) to both the Champion spark plug vibrator cleaner and a Champion tester and really got spoiled having them at my disposal 24/7, that all changed when my IA moved out of state and took his equipment with him (the nerve of some people). With an 0-300 (6 cyl.) and and IO-360 (4 cyl.) needing the plugs serviced during annuals or the occasional buddy dropping by to do his plugs I decided just to buy the right tool for the job, WRONG !! New was going to run me just south of 2700 so the search for used began, my search turned up some real junk and some pricey junk at that. Being a "Tinkerer" at heart and bored I decided to just make my own and combine them into one unit, after all how hard could it be. The Vibrating cleaner makes short work for cleaning really crapped up plugs, the Media Blast does a good job after that, once they're cleaned and gaped its time to do a Spark Test under a load, so my box needed to do only three things..... easy enough. This project actually started at the beginning of September working on a design, gathering material and parts (most I had either in the hangar or storage, engineering (me) was constantly coming up with revisions so I pecked at it a few hours at a time. Below is a photo of most of what is done. If there is any interest I'll shoot some more pixs during final assembly and try and explain/describe what is what  

IMG_2730.thumb.jpg.c7b6eaecffd5416d45c33702fafd87c1.jpg

Edited by RLCarter
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, thinwing said:

wow...ive got a champion bead blaster /pressure testor i basically found abandoned in a hangar ...I use it every annual...had no idea it was worth 2700!!!

lol, sorry to bust your bubble, $1800 is new price, the Vibrator is another $900. In working condition the testers bring about $500 on the low side. Good find on your part

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I have a Champion tester/cleaner I bought on eBay about 20 years ago. Gave $60 for it. It works perfect. 

I know it is hard to find a good deal on eBay these days.

There are still some good deals out there it’s just finding them, the one I had at my disposal was picked up a garage sale for under $100 about 6 years ago

• Like 1

in A&P school we had some of the old, fancy ones and some of these.   They all worked about the same.   The hand-held vibrator cleaners are inexpensive to buy or build.   And definitely +1 that these are handy for plug rehab/servicing.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/sparkplugdual.php

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

thanks @carusoam, a couple of my airport buddies want me to make them one, I told them they can build their own or borrow mine their choice.... any guesses on what they decided?...lol 

rent your out to them everybody wins.  Really nice you spent a lot of time putting it together.

• Like 1

• RLCarter changed the title to Spark Plug & Oil Change Equipment Projects

Ok, Title has been changed to reflect yet another $500 solution to $100 problem. I’ve been using a cheap oil filter cutter that is a real PITA that doesn’t work all that well and is generally messy. In true fashion it was time to build a better mouse trap, half way through the project my X axis gave up the ghost on my CNC Mill so it was back to cranking on wheels. There was a scrap piece left over so I made a Torque Adapter for the filter since I’ve been using a crows foot, which works but the adapter just seems more suitable. I had seen some DIY anodizing so I thought why not, my anodizing needs better quality control but it will be just fine for what it is

00B1CB20-3CDA-4E9D-8CE0-A408BA498E64.thumb.jpeg.cab2111baf9f8cb8d16e57979daad4a3.jpeg  6A6023C9-3B0E-4F07-A7EB-7E484465AF8D.thumb.jpeg.3d7856fae32997193e1d9acb18c00983.jpeg  C4A29A7E-F222-4E4A-AFA3-C6C2E0B0B48F.thumb.jpeg.34966a29976fa3e04b02e853a3d67242.jpeg  A9AC229D-2A66-4455-8243-B50E14B46F22.thumb.jpeg.411d9acf76565363aa4f7049d5831683.jpeg

85D8E93C-F9D2-4593-A081-E5E30DF9646C.jpeg

Edited by RLCarter
  • Like 2

Some MSers have awesome tools and the capability to make them work!

Way to go RLC..!  For having a back up machine center for when the primary loses an axis...   

Our Yetti has been impressing us with machine skills forever..!

You guys are the best!

Thanks for sharing the details.

Best regards,

-a-

@Yetti I have the same plug cleaner, it’s just mounted in the box. @carusoam only one milling machine, I installed a CNC conversion 15 years ago and had left the hand wheels so it was just a matter of turning the unit off, luckily all the features were done except for 1 and the axis failed after the 1st pass for the profile and was able the hit the Emergency Stop before it came around and trashed the part

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RLCarter said:

@Yetti using a lathe seems like it would be a big mess or at least if I were doing it. I generally cut the filter open while the oil is draining, then squeeze the oil out of the media in the vise. 

go slow and listen to the sound of the bit cutting through the backside of the material.   Mine are pretty well drained by the time they get to the lathe.   Once to the backside you can stop and use a hand to take the can apart.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RLCarter said:

@Yetti using a lathe seems like it would be a big mess or at least if I were doing it. I generally cut the filter open while the oil is draining, then squeeze the oil out of the media in the vise. 

Every bench vise I've ever seen or used has so much goop, grit, dirt and metal shavings that the filter would be contaminated beyond usefulness doing this . . . . You obviously have a clean vise!!

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

You obviously have a clean vise!!

It’s cleaner than most, I remove the paper media and fold it back and then wrap it in several blue shop towels, then everything goes into a clean pan of 100LL and hopefully I don’t find anything big enough to have a serial number on it :D