Throttle control and cable.

10 minutes ago, bob865 said:

I ordered mine from MacFarlane when I did my overhaul recently.  I had the throttle quadrant version so I had to send my old cables in and have replacements made by example, but it worked well and they were great cables.

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/ 

Thank you I will check that out ! 

Just now, jamesm said:

Will MacFarlane notch out the slot for micro switches for throttle position  for gear warning ?

Someone will have a better answer, but the gist is that mcfarlane made the original ones and the new ones for Mooney.  They are not certified “legal” parts until Mooney puts their stamp on them and sells it to you through an msc.  However, mcfarlane is also happy to use your current cable as an owner supplied example to “create” a part just for you which is also apparently legal.  

Expect that it is exactly the same as the one you would get from the msc.

I have a McFarlane Mix and throttle cables that have only about 300 hours on them and about 3 years old. they still look new. came out of my 65 M20c. I just ordered new ones today because I am doing the IO360 conversion the the O360 cables wont work on the injected engine. will take $350 each.

On 10/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, Ragsf15e said:

Two common methods... call Lasar, SWTA, or your favorite msc and see if they have the right part available from mooney.  Or send yours to mcfarlane and they make you one.  Either way, you get a mcfarlane cable...

I had called McFarlane about these a few months ago, and they said they don't stock any cables for a Mooney.

Fast-forward to last week when I sent in all three cables for replacement on my C. This week McFarlane sent the engineering drawings back marked (in RED, no less) "CUSTOM". The page for the quote clearly states: "Custom manufactured products are not FAA-PMA approved. Fabricated per customer data."

Huuh? Should I be concerned? I'm guessing not, but can someone shed some light on this?

TIA!

4 minutes ago, vorlon1 said:

I had called McFarlane about these a few months ago, and they said they don't stock any cables for a Mooney.

Fast-forward to last week when I sent in all three cables for replacement on my C. This week McFarlane sent the engineering drawings back marked (in RED, no less) "CUSTOM". The page for the quote clearly states: "Custom manufactured products are not FAA-PMA approved. Fabricated per customer data."

Huuh? Should I be concerned? I'm guessing not, but can someone shed some light on this?

TIA!

Someone will be able to quote the reg, but I think the cables qualify as owner produced parts which are legal.  They are owned produced since you provided the engineering specs by providing the example even though you didn’t actually build them yourself.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

TIA!

You accidentally followed all the rules to get the proper parts for your plane...

You are now the proud owner of engine controls built the right way, using the required user supplied info...

Did you not know why you sent in the old parts?

To see how this is done for other parts... look at user supplied data for exhaust parts... they get “OH’d”...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

You accidentally followed all the rules to get the proper parts for your plane...

Naah, it was no accident.

You are now the proud owner of engine controls built the right way, using the required user supplied info...

Did you not know why you sent in the old parts?

Poor wording on my part. The mechanic sent them in.

To see how this is done for other parts... look at user supplied data for exhaust parts... they get “OH’d”...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 8:26 PM, jamesm said:

Will MacFarlane notch out the slot for micro switches for throttle position  for gear warning ?

Yes.   I got my throttle cable from them and the notch was cut out.  Careful with the micro switch.  The positive screw is very close to the micro-switch board.  I had to file mine down as it kept shorting to ground. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1