From a weather perspective, it doesn't get much worse than this...

Two things we are taught to avoid...thunderstorms and freezing rain.  That's a bad day even when walking!

KOKC 281223Z 34008KT 3SM TS -FZRA BR BKN004CB BKN008 OVC018 00/00 A3001 RMK AO2 PK WND 23028/1153 WSHFT 1157 LTG DSNT N AND S TSE06B23 FRQ LTGICCC OHD TS OHD MOV NE P0019 T00000000 $

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Scott Dennstaedt said:

Two things we are taught to avoid...thunderstorms and freezing rain.  That's a bad day even when walking!

That seems axiomatically relevant: if you can't even walk - don't go flying!

I remember some intense ice storms that made such a sheen that people were falling and breaking wrists and hips.  Don't go flying in that.

E

Just now, aviatoreb said:

That seems axiomatically relevant: if you can't even walk - don't go flying!

I remember some intense ice storms that made such a sheen that people were falling and breaking wrists and hips.  Don't go flying in that.

I remember once when I used to live in Boulder there was lots of ice after a storm and then there was huge huge winds they get there sometimes called chinooks (>70mph) when you couldn't even stand in one place on the slippery surface.

E

2 hours ago, Scott Dennstaedt said:

my wife used to say, "I thought you got that instrument rating to fly in the clouds."  I told her you can't change physics with an instrument rating.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Up here in Minnesota we get TSSN, we had an episode last week. Its about the same as TS FZRA. If it were regular SN it would not be bad most of the time, SN is just an induction icing concern. But TSSN is a special breed, usually heavy and wet, likes to stick to things while it freezes solid, and then of course there is the convective activity and lightning to avoid.