Talk to me about circuit breakers

On today's flight I noticed that the rocker CB/switch for the electric boost pump seemed 'loose'/sloppy when off; no spring resistance when pushing on the rocker to turn it on, compared to firm spring pressure on the other rocker/CBs (Landing light, Nav lights, Beacon).  It works fine, but I'm thinking this is a warning sign to be proactive.

Anyway, parts manual shows this as P/N: 930018-11.  Now, the interesting thing is that on my plane the Beacon rocker/CB is NOT used as I have NO beacon installed.  This is okay as I have strobes.

So, you can see where this is going: I would like to swap my unused Beacon rocker/CB with the flakey boost pump one.  However, the P/N for the Beacon is 930018-7.  Per the schematics both appear to be 10 Amps.

Difference between the -7 and -11?  What say the cognoscenti?  Workable, or bad idea?

If bad idea, is there a legal alternate available, or am I stuck with buying from Mooney?  I couldn't figure out how to cross the Mooney part numbers.

Thanks!

Double check what the  -7 Means...

When it comes to CBs from aircraft spruce... that may be the amp rating...

The important part, getting the right amp rating...

If it is the printed switch caps... each one has a -number... the switch covers can be popped off carefully and put on the other CB switch...

PP thoughts to outline the different CB switch names.... and the misdirection that can come from them...

Best regards,

-anthony-

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Double check what the  -7 Means...

When it comes to CBs from aircraft spruce... that may be the amp rating...

The important part, getting the right amp rating...

If it is the printed switch caps... each one has a -number... the switch covers can be popped off carefully and put on the other CB switch...

PP thoughts to outline the different CB switch names.... and the misdirection that can come from them...

Best regards,

-anthony-

The -7 and -11 are the Mooney dash numbers; they are NOT Aircraft Spruce numbers.

Mooney schematic shows BOTH to be 10 Amps.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Those appear to be Mooney numbers. They probably include the switch covers. It should be fine to swap them and the switch covers.

Thank you!  That's what I was hoping:D

Do you know a way to cross the Mooney numbers to manufacturer's (e.g. Klixon) part numbers?

They are such standard parts... there aren’t many options...

When it gets to the CB switches with plastic caps... there are two options based on the flush mounting depth...

Klixon has an online catalog if that helps...

Aircraft spruce has most of their parts, but not all...

By the time you select a CB switch And it’s amp rating... you will be out of options...

Matching the pics to what you have will do a great verification in the event it doesn’t say Klixon clearly on the pic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

An example of what you may be looking for...

https://www.skygeek.com/sensata-klixon-7270-1-10-amp-circuit-breaker.html

Sensata is the brand owner of Klixon...

Best regards,

-a-

Ah, so there is a 'regular' switch handle under the black plastic rocker!

Thank you!

• Like 1

The silly rocker cap is ungodly hard to get...

Each switch new, gets one...

They are not for sale separately... 

They snap in place, using a small undercut in the plastic... easy on/off...

I think the Klixon people have figured out... by the time the cap is broken... the CB switch is worn out....

The click wears away so slowly... most people can’t tell the CB part is wearing... until there is no click...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The tip of the breaker has the amperage embossed in it, but you won't be able to see it if the cover is on.  Note that in my '65C there is a bus bar covering all of the breakers so the easiest way to replace one is to remove the mounting nuts holding the breakers to the panel and slide them back as an assembly.  Then, there is enough room to remove and replace an individual breaker.  Not sure if the newer models are set up the same way.

• Thanks 1