Help Please - Throttle Body Control Unit - Engine Overhaul Problem - Mooney Missile

Seth

I am asking for assistance from the Mooney community. I have a BIG story to tell regarding upgrades and maintenance to my Mooney Missile, but cannot do so yet, however to get my Mooney Missile flying again, I need some collective knowledge experience.

I sent my engine to the Continental Factory to be overhauled for a variety of reasons. I will get into those later.

The issue, is that when the shiny overhauled engine was sent back, the throttle body control unit was not the one we sent in, and the connection on it for how the hose clips in to one side has a lip instead of a straight metal section. The pictures will show this. The original unit had the same fitting on both sides. The new one that came back had the correct fitting one side and a lip on the other side that increases the diameter to larger than the hose and thus the hose doesn't fit (final picture). 

1. Continental is attempting to assist, however cannot identify the part number for the old unit that was somehow discarded despite instructions to not replace the STC'd item. Also, we think the part number matches that of the current one, which is an upgraded version.

2. Rocket Engineering is involved, but we are having difficulties here too. The have provided the lever arms, but we have not yet fixed the lip issue. They are working on a fix, but it's time to reach out for assistance.

This can't be the first time an older throttle body control unit was upgraded to a newer style when the owner did not want that for then having to modify the aircraft to be able to run the overhauled engine. Or, it's a common enough issue where a know adaptor or something is in place for this sort of mishap.

Many parts from the Mooney Missile were taken from the Cessna 210, 340, and 414. There may also be some Bonanza and Baron parts are many STC's put IO-550's in them. The throttel body control unit may very well be one of these.

Looking at the pictures, does anyone know where or how I can source an older throttle body design for an IO-550A so I can have it overhauled and placed onto my aircraft in lieu of the incorrect fresh updated one that was provided as part of the overhaul?

Thanks,

-Seth

Comparison to removed part.jpg

Throttel Control Unit Removed.jpg

Throttle Control Unit prior to removal.jpg

Incorrect Throttle Control Unit II.jpg

Hose won't fit.JPG

Edited by Seth
  • Sad 1

• Seth changed the title to Help Please - Throttle Body Control Unit - Engine Overhaul Problem - Mooney Missile

We have figured it out. Throttle body is back with Rocket. When originally sent, Rocket provided the control levers for it which were Rocket parts. That said, they missed the connection issue. When we got it back, we were at a loss. After a series of phone calls and requesting certain diagrams/drawings to be scanned and sent to me, Rocket realized they did in fact modify the throttle body control unit for all Mooney Missiles, they just had not modified one in 22 years.

So it's with Rocked. They are modifying it now. it should be sent back late this week or early next week so we can finish attaching everything on the the front end of the airplane.

I'd say odds are 50/50 we'll be in the air prior to thanksgiving.

-Seth

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Seth said:

We have figured it out. Throttle body is back with Rocket. When originally sent, Rocket provided the control levers for it which were Rocket parts. That said, they missed the connection issue. When we got it back, we were at a loss. After a series of phone calls and requesting certain diagrams/drawings to be scanned and sent to me, Rocket realized they did in fact modify the throttle body control unit for all Mooney Missiles, they just had not modified one in 22 years.

So it's with Rocked. They are modifying it now. it should be sent back late this week or early next week so we can finish attaching everything on the the front end of the airplane.

I'd say odds are 50/50 we'll be in the air prior to thanksgiving.

-Seth

Note to file: Remove Missile/Rocket Engineering specific throttle body from engine at overhaul time...

• Like 1

Note, if sent to Continental, which I did thinking i was having at third child (two recent miscarriages), and if I needed to sell the airplane, 90% of buyers will see a factory overhauled engine as better whereas those who really know understand that certain field shops do make a more reliable overhaul, make sure to call and email them more than a few times that it's an STCed engine and you need certain parts to not just be placed in the parts bin and exchanged for an overhauled unit as they've been modified by STC.

This was not an issue at a field overhaul shop as they use the parts off your airplane and overhaul those parts when they can. it's not a parts bin special like it is a the continental factory shop.

That said, Continental has bent over backward attempting to mitigate the situation and are paying for the additional shipping and modification costs to have Rocket modify the part. And they are supposed to agree (though I haven't got it in writing yet) that the warranty will cover this part too.

This will be part of my full write up.

I'm 50/50 if I'll be in the air by thanksgiving, and I'm not sure which side to put money on.

The modified throttle body, including ensuring the fittings are back to their 45 ish degree positions (delivered from continental with standard 90 degree fittings), is being shipped by Rocket today and I should have it  Tuesday at the shop.

Only waiting on a few other parts now, which should all arrive next week or the beginning of the following week. We have a real shot at being in the air this month!

-Seth

• Like 2