Lobster Run

Little Dipper

33 minutes ago, exM20K said:

Bar harbor. Lunt’s Gateway lobster pound was always our go-to when we lived in the northeast

-dan

Ditto.

Haven't been in awhile tho.  I owe them another visit, however, they're seasonal.

Stop by KISP on the east side (Halstead) airpark area next to 33R approach area for a free TKS fill-up if you want.  Easy-in, easy-out.

Steve

I’ve actually used Bangor.  There’s a place there that will deliver them to the airport boxed up perfectly in whatever size boxes you need to fit your airplane.  Can’t remember the name right now but bit of Google I bet you’ll have it.  Anyway, the lobsters were expertly boxed in perfect size to fit a military travel pod (no heat or pressurization).  Then they flew two sorties back down to North Carolina, a low level and an unplanned climb up to 28,000’.  They were all alive and raring to go for the lobster races that evening.

Bar Harbor is prettier.  Bangor has more services and approaches.

I would normally say go to Wiscasset (KIWI) and while in town go to Reds for Lobster Rolls, however not what I call walking distance (4 or 5 miles).  I have no idea if with COVID they have crew cars etc.   The FBO closed in may due to COVID and not sure if they opened back up.

Fun!  I usually make a lobster run or two every year.  I like KBST Belfast Maine since I really love Young's lobster pound that is a restaurant and real lobster pound with the boats pulling right up and right on the water.  But i think it is 2 or 3 or 4 miles from the airport.  We have bikes.

KRKD Rockland is a really nice town with lots of lobster options in town.   But they too are about 2 miles from the airport.  

Eastport Main is pretty cool.  Most eastern town in the usa.  In the mouth of the Bay of Fundi so massive tides.  Several restaurants on the water that are legit lobster pounds too and you see these really tall piers so the boats can float up and down like 15 or 20 ft with the tide.  But there too about 2 mi.

Brunswick Maine.

Just in time for the weekend...

I've had great success at Taylor Lobster in Kittery ME (https://taylorlobster.com/)  We do "lobster runs" 2-3 times per season.  Their retail space is just minutes from Portsmouth NH (KPSM).  Excellent lobster in a wide variety of sizes, competitive prices, simple access and a great airport.

As for the gory details, I fly to KPSM and park at Port City Air.  First rate, friendly FBO with SEVERAL courtesy cars.  The FBO and field are immediately adjacent to I-95 on the NH/ME border.  Hop on 95 North cross into Maine.  2nd exit is Kittery and Taylor is less than a mile from the interchange.  Google Maps says door to door distance between FBO and your lobster is 7 miles.  

I'm getting hungry - might see you at the retail window this weekend lol!

On 10/27/2020 at 10:35 AM, Little Dipper said:

I am thinking about doing a lobster run up to Maine.  Anyone know of an airport up there that would have a dock or store that has fresh caught lobsters within walking distance?

Which reminds me, it's stone crab season down here. Time to head to the Keys.