Narco NAV122

Cyril Gibb

Note to those with deeper pockets... No, I'm not considering replacing my entire panel "while I'm at it", so don't bother suggesting it.

My backup VOR/ILS gave up the ghost.  We went as far as testing directly into the unit to make sure it wasn't a splitter, antenna or coax problem.  Anybody had a recent and positive experience with a shop repairing legacy avionics?

1 hour ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Note to those with deeper pockets... No, I'm not considering replacing my entire panel "while I'm at it", so don't bother suggesting it.

My backup VOR/ILS gave up the ghost.  We went as far as testing directly into the unit to make sure it wasn't a splitter, antenna or coax problem.  Anybody had a recent and positive experience with a shop repairing legacy avionics?

I have a Narco ID-825 indicator that I just pulled out of my panel. It was working when I removed it if you are interested. I can send you pics tonight.

3 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I have a Narco ID-825 indicator that I just pulled out of my panel. It was working when I removed it if you are interested. I can send you pics tonight.

I think the NAV122 was an all in one instrument, not just the indicator. You set the frequency in the face of the CDI. Pretty cool instrument.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Cyril,

Have you considered a Val Avionics 429?

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/avpages/valINS429.php?clickkey=3021758

https://mikesavionics.com/

I sent my NAV121 to MIke’s to have a frequency gear replaced.  It’s been a solid radio.  The local shop was overwhelmed with ADSB installs at the time so I sent it down to Mike.

I also have a NAV122, but it’s no longer in the panel.  I kept the NAV121 instead since I have GS on another nav/com.  I considered getting the 122 fixed and selling it, but it had been repaired in the local shop a couple times and I just don’t trust it.  I guess I could sell it for parts, but it’s around 40 years old.   

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Cyril,

Have you considered a Val Avionics 429?

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/avpages/valINS429.php?clickkey=3021758

Yup, I looked, but it's not for certified aircraft.  I'd install that in a New York minute if I could.  Do you know if there's a way around that here in Canada?

Further to my previous append.... \rant on

It seems silly that I can just remove my backup VOR/ILS and still be legal, but not install a a non-approved backup VOR/ILS.  Wouldn't a non-approved instrument be safer than no backup at all when the poo hits the fan?

A similar argument is about the "certified" G5 being 1/2 again the price of an "experimental" G5.  Don't they come off the same assembly line?

Cyril,

We are slowly winning that same argument here...

The last time was for the airbag seat belts... the science is there, says they work... but they weren’t tested at every level with every plane.... so we couldn’t use them....

The seatbelt manufacturers have done a great job to figure out what was really needed, and how to get it done...

As far as cost effective replacement avionics... check in with @Alan Fox he may have exactly what you are looking for, or know where to get one... or have something more modern that may be of interest to you...

I have used Alan for a couple of swaps over the years...

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...