Painting Recommendations

Prestonalton

2 hours ago, Jerry Pressley said:

Manual paints for most of the larger companies and all the helicopters in the Caribbean.  A US customer had a problem years ago on a mooney and Manual flew all the way to West Memphis to correct a 2 hour flaw.  I used him for almost 20 years with never a problem.  I am sorry suggested him as I thought I was doing someone a favor as he was actually looking for an exceptional paint job.  Manual would have done much better than this. cowling doesnt match

N201EQ - Mooney M20J - Private

Clearly you're new at this.. I bought the plane a few years after that. 

usually there carribbean paint jobs are cheaper because they use off-brand materials and 12$/hr unskilled labor.  Most recently a buddy of mine, got his done in El Salvador. His N-numbers were only 11", and they had to sand off the side of the plane and then fade and blend the base white and the stripes. it wont be the same as it would have been were it done once. But he owns it. And it wasnt much cheaper anyway.

They didnt even have a paint booth, and neither does Manuel from the looks of it.  So they put up plastic sheeting suspended from the ceiling. The overspray either settles down on the plane and has to be buffed off, or you omit the sheeting and have fresh dirt and trash coming in the open hangar to settle into your paint. 

If they dont have a real, dedicated, filtered air paint booth, walk.

You do you. We all know your history.

I actually paint planes, thats me there.

IMG_9630 3.JPG

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Jerry Pressley said:

OHHHHH now I see.  You do paint jobs.  I sold planes for 50 years or so and can't remember once i degraded a competitors inventory.  And incidentally I don' see a paint booth.  and I apologize if i hurt your feelings.  jerry

I used to work in an aircraft paint shop, and I painted the checkerboards on my plane at the shop that did the job. I do not work for that paint shop. If you look carefully that is the paint booth the  airplane is in.  Given your history, i’d be careful going on the offensive. 

https://www.accidents.app/summaries/accident/20001205X00519

On 10/27/2020 at 9:03 PM, Bravoman said:

Hawk in Zephyrhills has always gotten good reviews for quality and price.

They did my 201 three years ago and did a fantastic job.  Joe knows his stuff, and helped me with colors and layout. I get LOTS of nice comments about our girl.

• Like 1

So i'm going to meet with the shop in person about some of the details and scheme. Any specific things I should bring up regarding the paint job? I've already asked about process (full strip), type of paint used, shop cleanliness, and have a rough idea of the scheme. I've gotten some great ideas here regarding removing surfaces, making sure windows aren't painted, overspray. Anything else to make my worries at ease would really help since this is the first time getting her painted.

Also...random question but what speed increases have you guys seen after a paint job?

On 1/21/2021 at 9:45 AM, jetdriven said:

Given your history, i’d be careful going on the offensive. 

https://www.accidents.app/summaries/accident/20001205X00519

Let's be a little more civil than this please. Don't call the guy out like that, especially considering what happened. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Prestonalton said:

Let's be a little more civil than this please. Don't call the guy out like that, especially considering what happened. 

Couldn’t agree more. Everyone can have personal differences but try and take the higher road

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Prestonalton said:

Yes, I agree Preston. When a man lost his son in an aviation accident related to his aviation profession, and someone feels the need to post a link like that because you didn’t like his recommendation for a paint shop says a lot about your character and is in very poor taste in my opinion. I still hope that you never have to experience that loss.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frank B. said:

Yes, I agree Preston. When a man lost his son in an aviation accident related to his aviation profession, and someone feels the need to post a link like that because you didn’t like his recommendation for a paint shop says a lot about your character and is in very poor taste in my opinion. I still hope that you never have to experience that loss.

Well he was complicit in his death. That was a factual report, perhaps you could read the relevant sections. The fact he sells used parts and flooded aircraft on here makes it relevant. Maybe you're not aware of that. But anything to make a buck, to some folks.

from the report:

"Before departure on a ferry flight, both previously damaged propellers were removed and replaced. An incorrect propeller was installed on the left position by a person with a revoked mechanic's certificate.....

According to Mark W. Trent, he is a friend of the accident pilot and is not a FAA certificated airframe or powerplant mechanic. On the day of the accident, he was a passenger in another airplane occupied by the accident pilot and the accident pilot's father. They flew to the Panama City Airport and as later determined by Air Traffic Control, landed at 1311 hours. The replacement propellers were in the airplane with them. After arriving, he observed the accident airplane parked on the ramp; the accident pilot's father removed the left propeller which had been previously damaged, and installed a replacement propeller on the left engine, with the help of the accident pilot. Mr. Trent removed the right propeller which also had been previously damaged and installed a replacement propeller on the right engine, also with the help of the accident pilot.......

The accident pilot's father made a verbal statement to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator, on May 3, 1999, that he inspected the airplane for the flight and made an entry in a booklet that was with the ferry permit paperwork in the wreckage that he inspected the airplane and it was safe for the intended ferry flight. He was advised that the booklet was not located in the wreckage and was asked to duplicate the entry that was made and to send it to the NTSB. He stated that he would provide a duplicate of the entry. On May 10, 1999, he was asked to send a duplicate of the entry that he initially reported he made in the booklet. He offered a nebulous statement that he would be fined by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) $250,000.00 whether he did or whether he did not provide to the NTSB a copy of the duplicate entry. He was asked for the entry; he refused to comply, and referred further inquiries regarding the duplicate entry to his attorney. On June 7, 1999, a statement dated June 5, 1999, reportedly signed by the accident pilot's father, Jerry Pressley, A & P certificate number 237587185, was sent via facsimile to the NTSB office located in Miami, Florida."

other stuff

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 11:03 PM, jetdriven said:

Well he was complicit in his death. That was a factual report, perhaps you could read the relevant sections. The fact he sells used parts and flooded aircraft on here makes it relevant. Maybe you're not aware of that. But anything to make a buck, to some folks.

from the report:

"Before departure on a ferry flight, both previously damaged propellers were removed and replaced. An incorrect propeller was installed on the left position by a person with a revoked mechanic's certificate.....

According to Mark W. Trent, he is a friend of the accident pilot and is not a FAA certificated airframe or powerplant mechanic. On the day of the accident, he was a passenger in another airplane occupied by the accident pilot and the accident pilot's father. They flew to the Panama City Airport and as later determined by Air Traffic Control, landed at 1311 hours. The replacement propellers were in the airplane with them. After arriving, he observed the accident airplane parked on the ramp; the accident pilot's father removed the left propeller which had been previously damaged, and installed a replacement propeller on the left engine, with the help of the accident pilot. Mr. Trent removed the right propeller which also had been previously damaged and installed a replacement propeller on the right engine, also with the help of the accident pilot.......

The accident pilot's father made a verbal statement to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator, on May 3, 1999, that he inspected the airplane for the flight and made an entry in a booklet that was with the ferry permit paperwork in the wreckage that he inspected the airplane and it was safe for the intended ferry flight. He was advised that the booklet was not located in the wreckage and was asked to duplicate the entry that was made and to send it to the NTSB. He stated that he would provide a duplicate of the entry. On May 10, 1999, he was asked to send a duplicate of the entry that he initially reported he made in the booklet. He offered a nebulous statement that he would be fined by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) $250,000.00 whether he did or whether he did not provide to the NTSB a copy of the duplicate entry. He was asked for the entry; he refused to comply, and referred further inquiries regarding the duplicate entry to his attorney. On June 7, 1999, a statement dated June 5, 1999, reportedly signed by the accident pilot's father, Jerry Pressley, A & P certificate number 237587185, was sent via facsimile to the NTSB office located in Miami, Florida."

other stuff

I don’t believe that he keeps it a secret or tries to hide that he rebuilds salvage airplanes and sells them. As a matter of fact, I think that he promotes it, it’s his livelihood. I have personally bough a lot of parts and a few airplanes from Jerry and his sons and so far no issues with the transactions. The first airplane that I ever owned was a flood airplane (Cessna) that I bought from his son in 1987. I had zero issues with it and neither did the subsequent owners and I know right where the plane is today. Now, if you have never been involved or around the salvage aircraft business you probably don’t understand some of the statements made in that report above. But I still strongly disagree that this account justifies what was said. Again, I hope that you never personally have to experience the loss of a child regardless of the circumstances.