Continuous Heater and Dehumidifier good or bad?

J0nathan225

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

It is really simple. No condensate is going to form as long as the metal temp is above the dew point.

I would disagree. Dew point is 100% RH. But corrosion starts around 60% and increases as the RH increases. What you are concerned with is how much water is actually on the surface of the metal. You can have water molecules on the metal in the absence of visible condensate. If the temperature of all metal components of the engine is high enough that the local humidity is < 60% then corrosion should be minimal.

Along the lines of this discussion, is there a heater for the hangar that's a better choice than other types?  Infrared, ceramic, quartz, etc.?  I was browsing some of the options at my local Lowe's and I saw an infrared heater that had "Will Not Reduce Humidity!" on the box.  Unfortunately none of the other boxes said they WOULD reduce humidity...

Any combustion type will add so much water to the space.... it will be condensing on every cold surface....

All electric heaters raise the temp of the air, without adding humidity... so the RH decreases...   same amount of moisture is still in the air... but it’s ability to absorb even more moisture increases...

hence the Relative part of the RH...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

A typical hangar is large, metal, and un-insulated. This space won't be heated by any electric 115V heater. Simply not enough power. An infrared heater is your best bet as long as you can be working near it to feel it's effect. If you want to actually heat the space what you really need is a gas powered unit heater like this:

https://www.ecomfort.com/Reznor-UDAP-150/p46932.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyfm92Kfu7AIVQxatBh3UxgudEAQYBCABEgKKCvD_BwE

Unfortunately for me, since I rent a hangar from the county, a nice heater like that is out of the question. I do have one of these. It is useful to take the chill off if I need to work on the plane in the winter. But it is loud and annoying. And the combustion by-products are not vented. It seems OK for short term use in a drafty hangar. I do have a CO monitor in my plane, it has not gone off while running the heater.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH60QFAV-Portable-Propane/dp/B00KRFVDP4/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=propane+heater&s=hi&sr=1-6

• Like 1