Rebuilt engine price

rotorman

The total price for my rebuilt IO 360 A3B engine with rebuilt Lyc cylinders purchased from Western Skyways was $26,220. I received the full core charge and a $1500 credit because I received only one mag. They're an honest company and I would purchase from them again. I have no financial interest here only posting as an FYI. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rotorman said:

The total price for my rebuilt IO 360 A3B engine with rebuilt Lyc cylinders purchased from Western Skyways was $26,220. I received the full core charge and a $1500 credit because I received only one mag. They're an honest company and I would purchase from them again. I have no financial interest here only posting as an FYI. 

Think you mean “overhauled.” Only Lycoming can produce a “rebuilt” engine and Lycoming will supply new cylinders. When comparing overhaul pricing, it is important to know what limits it was overhauled to. 

That said, Western Skyways has a good reputation.

Skip

• Like 2

12 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I’m doing my own engine and I’m up to about $14000 so far, and I haven’t even started assembling it. It is a lot of work.

At least you'll know it is done right. If I had your skills, I'd seriously consider this route.

1 hour ago, tmo said:

At least you'll know it is done right. If I had your skills, I'd seriously consider this route.

My skills seem to be centered on shipping and receiving.

I ordered new cylinders from Air Power. One arrived damaged. I contacted them and they immediately sent out a replacement. The only problem is they sent it to the shop of the previous owner of my airplane. 

Oh, well, my crank and bearings aren’t here yet. The propellor people are ignoring me and I haven’t heard from my fuel system in a while. I still need to order hoses, but they only take a day or so.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:44 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

My skills seem to be centered on shipping and receiving.

I ordered new cylinders from Air Power. One arrived damaged. I contacted them and they immediately sent out a replacement. The only problem is they sent it to the shop of the previous owner of my airplane. 

Oh, well, my crank and bearings aren’t here yet. The propellor people are ignoring me and I haven’t heard from my fuel system in a while. I still need to order hoses, but they only take a day or so.

@N201MKTurboi know all that must be frustrating but I just wanted to thank you for the update......I’m pulling my hair out going on month 6 of overhaul.....engine came back in September but between throttle cables, wrong engine mounts delivered and having an STC’d 262/231 mod I am now finally seeing the light this weekend.  Your ability to adapt as an AI to a UPS store employee made me feel like I am not crazy as well as my mechanic.......reference Mike Busch’s article on good help is hard to find.....my mech had his #1 mech a commercial license in August and he was picked up for a high paying job as a flying mechanic for a Florida company....result....when a part of mine gets delayed my mech has to jump on another backed up repair until part comes in then my plane works it way back in the pecking order.....if I was 19 again....A&P license for sure.... 

6 minutes ago, anthonydesmet said:

@N201MKTurboi know all that must be frustrating but I just wanted to thank you for the update......I’m pulling my hair out going on month 6 of overhaul.....engine came back in September but between throttle cables, wrong engine mounts delivered and having an STC’d 262/231 mod I am now finally seeing the light this weekend.  Your ability to adapt as an AI to a UPS store employee made me feel like I am not crazy as well as my mechanic.......reference Mike Busch’s article on good help is hard to find.....my mech had his #1 mech a commercial license in August and he was picked up for a high paying job as a flying mechanic for a Florida company....result....when a part of mine gets delayed my mech has to jump on another backed up repair until part comes in then my plane works it way back in the pecking order.....if I was 19 again....A&P license for sure.... 

All I'm lacking now to put my engine back together is bearings. They keep telling me they aren't available and I'll have them next week. I talked to the owner of the local engine shop and he said that he quit giving completion estimates because he is having the same problem. He said I would be lucky to have bearings before Thanksgiving. He said it is because the FAA quit sending inspectors out to the bearing vendors (he says it is King Bearings who makes bearings for Lycoming, Continental and Superior) for required inspections because of COVID and the vendors cannot ship the bearings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

All I'm lacking now to put my engine back together is bearings. They keep telling me they aren't available and I'll have them next week. I talked to the owner of the local engine shop and he said that he quit giving completion estimates because he is having the same problem. He said I would be lucky to have bearings before Thanksgiving. He said it is because the FAA quit sending inspectors out to the bearing vendors (he says it is King Bearings who makes bearings for Lycoming, Continental and Superior) for required inspections because of COVID and the vendors cannot ship the bearings.

https://www.kingbearings.com/products/aviation/

It seems he was correct.

On 10/26/2020 at 6:20 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I’m doing my own engine and I’m up to about $14000 so far, and I haven’t even started assembling it. It is a lot of work.

I had my 231 Top overhaul done last year, with new nickel cylinders put in...I couldn't imagine doing that myself.  #YouDaMan!  Good luck!!

• Like 1