Mooney Bravo Project

Hector

As a side note, I'd like to know what happened that made the person fly it for 10 hrs then pay to have it sit in a hangar for 15 years (assuming he doesn't own the hangar).  Not sure about Jacksonville area, but in south Florida that would be about $90K in hangar rent for that time period.

As a side note, I'd like to know what happened that made the person fly it for 10 hrs then pay to have it sit in a hangar for 15 years (assuming he doesn't own the hangar).  Not sure about Jacksonville area, but in south Florida that would be about $90K in hangar rent for that time period.

He was traveling a lot for business then that stopped and so did his reason for flying. Hangars in Jacksonville area are not bad. Really nice hangars for 350-400 per month. He is in a bulk hangar so I’m thinking he is paying 200-250:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/25/2020 at 11:29 AM, Ragsf15e said:

Nobody’s worried about the $10-15k for resealing both fuel tanks?  Also the time/travel involved to get it somewhere that does it?  Maybe the 90s models had better sealant, but dry for a lot of years doesn’t bode well...

So, engine, tanks, missing logs, avionics (adsb)... sadly, Doc is probably right about the price point.

90s models did have much better sealant and a defined process of how it got there...

to answer the question more precisely...

An AW long body is often near a 200amu plane...

A fully run out one is about 100AMU...

One without papers is a mountain of paper reproduction post inspection...

The hardest part of inspecting engine parts... they are post tear down...

So... if the plan is to OH the 75AMU engine... go for it! 

For the best info about reviving a Bravo... Lance wound be the guy with the answers...

Keep in mind... the early Bravos were early in the Long Body line... if there was any development with time... you would want a newer version...

The most notable change occurred when the engine went to wet heads... then the TLS became the Bravo!

If the intention is to fly it and see what happens...

We know the engine probably used a a pair of cylinders... could be at about 1k hrs time... the exhaust system also gets a lot of attention... the thing that wears out cylinders also puts some thinness in the exhaust system...

If you have a mechanic poke around to see what things look like... keep in mind, the V-bands are expensive, have procedures to follow... and can fail miserably after people poke around...

So... Now for the answer... you are now in this project for about 175amu... +/-a whole bunch Including ADSB out and probably a nice GTN to go with that... how important is that 10-15 amu going to be?

Like the rest of the 1k point list to research... long body fuel tanks living indoors don’t typically fail... but every o-ring in the fuel system might be dry as well... :)

Go Long Body!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

A couple things to remember  - by the time you are all done with it and you get it the way you want it, you'll probably have close to as much into it, or possibly more, that the one that has all of that now. For some people it's the journey of bringing something back to life more than the destination.

Secondly, if this airplane was being sold new from the factory today it would be a $700,000 - $800,000 airplane. So, going forward, you will be maintaining a three quarters of a million dollar airplane, Parts will reflect those prices, as will labor. 

All of that being said if the M20M is the one that you want, put a pencil and paper to it and be realistic and see what all-in, worst case scenario, you'll have into it and then compare that to others for sale. Don't buy it to make money on though.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

if this airplane was being sold new from the factory today it would be a $700,000 - $800,000 airplane. So, going forward, you will be maintaining a quarter of a million dollar airplane (sic), Parts will reflect those prices, as will labor. 

... I think you mean a three-quarters of a million dollar airplane.

Not only would it cost $750K if new today, it is a 30 year old $750K airframe.   Expect to spend some serious $ to keep it in prime condition. 

That piper being paid, a good Bravo can provide fine travel. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jerry 5TJ said:

... I think you mean a three-quarters of a million dollar airplane.

Not only would it cost $750K if new today, it is a 30 year old $750K airframe.   Expect to spend some serious $ to keep it in prime condition. 

That piper being paid, a good Bravo can provide fine travel. 

Oops - thanks i fixed it

On 10/26/2020 at 6:29 AM, Rusty Pilot said:

What is the value of missing logs?  As a rule of thumb, I always figured 50% of the aircraft value.

Wow, I figured less than 50%, as with modern methods and tracking you can normally reconstruct at least some of it, but if nothing was done since 2006, then well, it'll be hard to get records over 14 years old.  

I have digital copies of my logs and i suggest everyone do the same. 

-Seth

Just now, Seth said:

The prop is worth something too. 

The person who should comment on this, or who you should call, is Alan Fox. If you decide not to move on it, give the owner Alan's info, and give Alan the owners info. He may very well be able to talk the owner into selling. I've watched him work. I've watched him fix airplanes, and I've watched him part them out.

-Seth