Yoke Painting

Thank you all for your input. I truly appreciate the advice. In the end, I couldn’t pass up the $50 (total) quote I got to powder coat both yokes. I am extremely happy with this decision and can get them recoated 15 more times instead of going the leather route. Now if I could get one of TheTurtle’s metal vintage Mooney decals...

-Lance

0E08269E-043B-4FE5-B520-F2CB14DDF467.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lfreebird said:

Thank you all for your input. I truly appreciate the advice. In the end, I couldn’t pass up the $50 (total) quote I got to powder coat both yokes. I am extremely happy with this decision and can get them recoated 15 more times instead of going the leather route. Now if I could get one of TheTurtle’s metal vintage Mooney decals...

-Lance

Looks great. Good choice.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:38 PM, Lfreebird said:

-Lance

Looks good, here are some decals on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Mooney-Control-Yoke-Decal-Decal-Vintage-General-Aviation-DEC-0108/163931355316?hash=item262b11f8b4:g:QXoAAOSw2jBecnzP

• 4 weeks later...

Originally, the yokes are "soaked" in white plastic paint (the operation is called soaking). It's an economical industrial process which provides good protection. The drawbacks are delamination due to the high thickness and then cracking of the coating with UV waves and temperature variations. An alternative exists, it's the "flexible" paint, as opposed to the "plastic" paint, you see this every day on the tarpaulins of trucks for example. Application is done with the conventional spray gun (the gravity spray gun is recommended due to the viscosity of the paint), and the paint is 2:1 polyurethane (solvent-based paint, not acrylic), with a "slow" hardener, to you add a "flexibilizer" (available from all industrial paint shops). For Mooney yokes, do not paint directly on aluminum. My advice is first a primer or zinc chromate (no zinc phosphate), then a "filler" primer whose thinner is the same as that of the finishing paint (to avoid cracks on evaporation ). Of course, you have to review the preparation of the pieces because the soaking fades many defaults and as the spray paint does not have the same ability (lesser thicknesses), the original ones will come out. I therefore advise you to pick up the parts where there are burrs and to redo a complete surfacing at 150 grains. 

20191205_13211.thumb.jpg.ac4a761d0d2d6c21909628c86f912292.jpgWP_20180509_002.thumb.jpg.97391e3da98008b9bf314a0f49f886d2.jpgWP_20180511_021.thumb.jpg.8e8ee43463843d3cbf1f3f0f44bd5147.jpg

20191205_132214.jpg

Edited by Raymond J
  • Like 4

From Google translate.... JR has given interesting details on a modern polymer coating he used... -a-

Originally, the yokes are "soaked" in white plastic paint (the operation is called soaking). It is an economical industrial process which provides good protection. The drawbacks are delamination due to the high thickness and then cracking of the coating with UV waves and temperature variations. An alternative exists, it is the "flexible" paint, as opposed to the "plastic" paint, you see this every day on the tarpaulins of trucks for example. The application is done with the conventional spray gun (the gravity spray gun is recommended due to the viscosity of the paint), and the paint is based on 2: 1 polyurethane (solvent-based paint, not acrylic), with a "slow" hardener , to which you add a "flexibilizer" (available from all body or industrial paint vendors). For Mooney yokes, do not paint directly on aluminum. My advice is to first apply a primer or zinc chromate (no zinc phosphate), then a "filler" primer whose thinner is the same as that of the topcoat (to avoid cracking. evaporation). Of course, it is necessary to review the preparation of the parts because the soaking fades from many defects and as the aerosol paint does not have the same ability (lesser thicknesses), the original ones will come out. I therefore advise you to pick up the parts where there are burrs and to redo a complete grooming at 150 grains. it is necessary to review the preparation of the parts because the soaking fades from many defects and as the aerosol paint does not have the same ability (lesser thicknesses), the original ones will come out. I therefore advise you to pick up the parts where there are burrs and to redo a complete grooming at 150 grains. it is necessary to review the preparation of the parts because the soaking fades from many defects and as the aerosol paint does not have the same ability (lesser thicknesses), the original ones will come out. I therefore advise you to pick up the parts where there are burrs and to redo a complete grooming at 150 grains.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I kept trying to find a powder coat option, but in the interest of progress, I stripped my yokes, etched, primed and rattle canned them to match my interior.  Yes they are cold, but way better than before.  If I have to redo them in a few years, I am out about $8.  New Mooney emblem bought here on MS makes it look almost new. Thanks for the motivation!

7AF1F0F9-0FB0-4360-B677-82EF20D5D4BF.jpeg

31136289-28B2-4D9C-9DB5-01E5F6C749E5.jpeg

Edited by Keith20EH
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Keith20EH said:

I kept trying to find a powder coat option, but in the interest of progress, I stripped my yokes, etched, primed and rattle canned them to match my interior.  Yes they are cold, but way better than before.  If I have to redo them in a few years, I am out about $8.  New Mooney emblem bought here on MS makes it look almost new. Thanks for the motivation!

7AF1F0F9-0FB0-4360-B677-82EF20D5D4BF.jpeg

31136289-28B2-4D9C-9DB5-01E5F6C749E5.jpeg

Where did you find the yoke logo? I had to settle for a sticker version from eBay...

59 minutes ago, Keith20EH said:

Metal emblem from The Turtle, try :  solohelp@gmail.com.  He is here on MS, very good work, it is holding fast with Gorilla Glue.

Thanks for the email. I had sent him a PM many months ago without a reply so I hope he still has some.

3 minutes ago, hammdo said:

Humm, I can’t set permissions and it looks like a download happened a couple hrs ago. Let me see if I can upload a newer version...

Put it in the Download section, with the thread titled so that we can scroll through and know what it is.