Yoke Painting

8 minutes ago, Lfreebird said:

For those who have painted their yokes, what is the best method to prep the metal?  In searching the forum, it looks like I will be using a polyurethane paint and would like to avoid having to redo this in the future.

-Lance

Yoke - Unfinished.jpg

As long as they are already off I would cover them in leather and never have to do it again. If not at least take them to a local powder coating shop. Paint will wear off and chip.

• Like 3

The leather wraps from Aero Comfort certainly look nice.  I simply have a hard time spending $800 for just the yoke wrap but I'm sure they are the best choice if I was willing to spend that much.  There was some other "leather" wrap on the controls that I removed because it was disintegrating so I wanted to avoid going back to that brand.  That leaves paint vs powder coating and for some reason I saw that through the forum the consensus was that powder coating didn't hold up (I'm probably wrong).  With the comments so far, I'll be reaching out for a powder coating quote locally.

Also, what is the best method for removing the pins/beads holding the Mooney plate in place?

3 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Those with leather yoke covers, do you ever clean them?

Or, is it similar to an auto steering wheel which (I’ve read from auto detailers) is often overlooked for cleaning? ^_^

Very, very rarely.  When I do, I use a little AeroCosmetics Wash-Wax Leather Soap.  Biodegradable stuff that takes off any dirt and hand oils without damaging the leather.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Those with leather yoke covers, do you ever clean them?

Or, is it similar to an auto steering wheel which (I’ve read from auto detailers) is often overlooked for cleaning? ^_^

I was wondering about this..............due to the generally dark colors of the leather covered yokes, do they possibly get overlooked for a regular cleaning because they don't show dirty, simply because they are dark.  Conversely, a light colored yoke [or anything really for that matter] shows discoloration, dirt, grime, etc., since it is light colored and may prompt more frequent cleaning, just by the sight of it.

Also, with the virus pandemic, we've been enlightened of items that are some of the dirtiest [germ carrying] places in our homes and in our vehicles............the steering wheel being one of them.   Is the leather covered yoke the same?

I'm certainly guilty...............-_-

On 10/24/2020 at 12:22 PM, Lfreebird said:

The leather wraps from Aero Comfort certainly look nice.  I simply have a hard time spending $800 for just the yoke wrap but I'm sure they are the best choice if I was willing to spend that much. 

That is a lot of money! I had leather left over from when I did the interior and covered the yokes myself. I can give you some pointers and help you. Send me pm if you want to do it yourself.

A58C26ED-FC83-4E6A-809B-2F86303B411E.jpeg

90E04289-1B62-4A41-A354-071BEED233BD.jpeg

I contemplated using Aerocomfort but when I saw this I decided to do them myself!

CB882DCF-4EEB-4489-9303-168279B2508E.jpeg

• Like 1

Personally, I prefer coated yokes to leather-coated ones.  I hate to squidginess of a wrapped yoke, it makes it feel less precise to me (yes, I know it's all psychological), as well as the chafing for some materials if you get sweaty.

I actually wrapped my yokes in silicone tape.  It's self-sealing so it keeps moisture, skin oil and crud away from the yoke.  I challenge any one to beat me in that CB contest...

• Like 1

Powder coat is a good option. If you are going to use polyurethane, use the hardener or it won't hold up as well. Wear a good mask because the hardener is an isocyanate and toxic. An epoxy primer would be the best choice. You might consider taking them to an auto body shop. We did that for several parts for the museum and it was amazingly inexpensive and they did a great job.

Skip

When I had my F model with yokes like yours, they needed refinishing. I called Laser and they said they knew someone who can put on the original coating. I sent them off and they came back looking brand new.

I have flown with painted yokes, they will burn your hands in the summer and freeze them in the winter. Powder coating would be better than painting, but the thick coating they came with, I think is the best.

• Like 1

If the leather wraps don't make sense financially, bicycle grip tape makes an amazingly comfortable wrap for $15.  I wouldn't paint or powder coat them simply due to the high thermal mass.  As mentioned earlier, they will burn your hands in the summer and freeze them in the winter.  The bike grip tape is comfortable year round.

As for cleaning, I used black, haven't cleaned them in over a year :ph34r:, and they still look brand new.

If the yokes are already off and you want to do it inexpensively, I would take them into a local upholstery shop and show them a picture of what leather wrapped yokes look like and see if they can do them. You might be surprised at how inexpensively it could be done. If you paint or powder coat you will always wish that when they were off that you would have wrapped them in leather. Do it once, do it right!

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

If the yokes are already off and you want to do it inexpensively, I would take them into a local upholstery shop and show them a picture of what leather wrapped yokes look like and see if they can do them. You might be surprised at how inexpensively it could be done. If you paint or powder coat you will always wish that when they were off that you would have wrapped them in leather. Do it once, do it right!

That is what I did, the original coating was cracked and peeling, looked and felt terrible. After removing the old coating I painted them (corrosion protection), then taped new wire for the PTT switches. Took them over to a local auto upholstery guy who knocked them out for a around $125.00, well worth the effort & money for both comfort and looks

My yokes were powder coated at some point in the past [well before I purchased her in '07], and now the right yoke is chipping away all the time, even when I fly solo from the left. Lots of little white flakes on the burgundy carpet . . .

Need to reach out to @PTK for advice on self-covering with leather--I have black [unknown source, thin and flexible; tan, left over from having my car seats redone; and new veg tan in a couple of thicknesses].

10 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

There is a shop online that does this. I want to say its around $500/ea.

-Robert

Out with the paint idea....  :)

The yokes are directly connected to the outside air and have a tendency to be the same temperature...

Aluminum is really good at conducting heat away from your hands...

My 65C had dip coated plastic over them from the factory... OK, but not that good... at 12k’ in the NE, in winter...

My O has the aero comfort... really good...

If Aero comfort cost is too much... review Peter’s (PTK) handy work on his yokes... they look even better in person...

If paint is the only route you have... expect to use a tennis racket handle wrap, or something from the bike shop to put some distance between the yoke and your skin...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-