Farewell Mooniacs! and thank you

DualRatedFlyer

Gents,

I recently departed with my beloved M20F and will miss her dearly.  This was my first airplane, and she will always have a special place in my heart.  Its strange how attached you can become to an inanimate object, but I always felt like she served me so well.  It was not uncommon for my wife and I to take 6hr long trips from central Texas to the east coast to visit family and friends.  We rode in style, comfort, while going fast and sipping fuel.  These airplanes are truly remarkable and I am sure one day I will come back to them. 

For now I have gone the Vans RV route and am doing a lot of formation flying and aerobatics.  

There are several people on this site who have really impacted my airplane ownership in a positive way by helping me with maintenance, offering advise, letting me borrow tools, sharing lessons learned, and all around being good dudes. I cant thank you enough.  One of my most intimate and favored Mooney memories will forever be the caravan to Oshkosh and getting to camp with fellow Mooney drivers.  You guys truly are a league of your own and I am thankful I was able to be a part of that.  

I have encouraged the new owner to join this site as it can be a wealth of knowledge, especially for a first time Mooney owner.  Please continue to show the new guys the patience as they start asking the same noob questions I did when I first started, because god knows that stinking search function aint worth a lick ;) 

Thanks again.  Will miss you guys.

Edited by DualRatedFlyer
removed sidewinder - sold
  • Like 10

• DualRatedFlyer changed the title to Farewell Mooniacs! and thank you

DRF,

You probably know this already...

1) You can get the pilot out of the Mooney... but you can’t get the Mooney out of the pilot!

2) Once a Mooniac, always a Mooniac...

3) You are always welcome to be present around here...

I’ll add your reason for graduating to our existing pile...

• needed six seats
  • needed second engine
  • needed a parachute
  • needed a turbine
  • needed a twin jet (my favorite reason to have to sell the beloved steed)
  • needed a classic with a Radial...
  • needed aerobatic capability...  

Before you go too far... drop a pic and a vid of your RV in action...

The cool thing... I won’t have to spin the pic around....   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So long and farewell..............stop by anytime and please enjoy your new aviation direction. :)

"Its strange how attached you can become to an inanimate object"......not strange at all.  The object of your affection is an extension of yourself.  It's what you enjoy and what gives you pleasure and happiness.................as did your M20F.  Wishing you the very best. :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

As requested.  Im the first ship

I don't think those last two are RVs.  ;)

We have a big flock of Nanchangs at DVT that I call the Deer Valley Air Force.   Those guys fly formation together a lot.    One day they had an RV with them and the break to landing was a little entertaining to watch.   None of them have good glide behavior but there was a pretty big mismatch on that particular day.   I was guessing they had a fair amount to debrief after that. 

RVs are very cool and definitely on my list of potential ownership aircraft.   One of my instructors at A&P school kept telling me I should build one, which is still a possibility.   Yours looks very cool and should be fun.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

As requested.  Im the first ship

FB_IMG_1599334679348_2.jpg

We have common friends!  Jeff Moore and I go way back.  Me in my J were his first fly-in guests, coming in from Los Angeles, just after he moved into the neighborhood. 

-dan

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Well, you're the one who will have to suffer in an aerobatic tail dragger.  How much fun can that possibly be?  :lol:

I'd worry about those big, draggy things hanging down under his feet. And of course the stopped prop . . . . .  :P

• Haha 2

Congrats!! I've been looking at potentially putting a partnership together for an RV-4 owned by a couple of Mooney and former pilots. But we would all keep our airplanes!

Hang around here and let us know how fun the RV is!

Looks like a ton of fun.

-Seth