Where are you flying this weekend October 21-23 ?

DrBill

I'll start the topic but let's leave this open for those NOT going to MAPA Homecoming since there are separate topics for that event.

This way perhaps you will meet up with another Mooney owner over a coffee or lunch.  I'll be back in the air next weekend, destination yet to be determined but probably North again since the color last weekend was poor.  I'm going to MAPA but I know many of you are not.  I'll be watching this thread for great suggestions and reports. 

FLY SAFE!

Dr Bill  65 M20E  N5612Q

I'm heading to Fort Lauderdale. His price is better (1 AMU lower), his warranty is longer (by 2 years), and Huntington's really poor commercial air service actually flies there twice a week. Spending tomorrow night with my brother in Milledgeville to arrive around noon Saturday and make the 3:30 airline flight home, since the next trip back is on Wednesday afternoon.

Quote: Hank

I'm heading to Fort Lauderdale. His price is better (1 AMU lower), his warranty is longer (by 2 years), and Huntington's really poor commercial air service actually flies there twice a week. Spending tomorrow night with my brother in Milledgeville to arrive around noon Saturday and make the 3:30 airline flight home, since the next trip back is on Wednesday afternoon.

Your gas price looks good, and I'll be ready to stand up and walk around. Current plans are for Friday, 18 Nov., time TBD. Twice-a-week airlines are better than none, but are not always the most convenient; the coming Thanksgiving Holiday, when I need to fly the wife around, changed their schedule, too! With my fresh discovery of el-cheapo tickets, I may have to visit Fort L. again in January, when it's really disgusting here.

Your gas price looks good, and I'll be ready to stand up and walk around. Current plans are for Friday, 18 Nov., time TBD. Twice-a-week airlines are better than none, but are not always the most convenient; the coming Thanksgiving Holiday, when I need to fly the wife around, changed their schedule, too! With my fresh discovery of el-cheapo tickets, I may have to visit Fort L. again in January, when it's really disgusting here.

Full service will spoil me . . . As long as you've got something to eat, it will work. Just because you're in the flat part of the state doesn't mean it's not scenic--doesn't it always look better from ~1500 agl? MLJ is on the lake, but fuel is high and I can't eat the view; I'm stopping there southbound so I don't have to leave here at 0500 to arrive at FXE by noon, and my overnight is free. Coming home, the time is all mine.

We need more airports with restaurants. That means more planes need to fly more often. So take your friends up and get the process started!

I will be flying up to Cabelas main store in Sydney Nebraska (KSNY) for the "Ultimate Outfitters Sale" early Saturday morning. I have $400 in points I "need" to spend. The airport was closed to re do the runway this summer and it is now open again. Call in 10 minutes out and ask for the shuttle to Cabelas and it will usually be there when you land. Great place to go for the $100 Buffalo burger. Great little airport that could use our support. They need it after being shut down for 3 months.

Then at 2pm I have my annual IPC. My Insurance company used to require a Instrument check once a year. They dropped it as a requirement but I think it is a good idea. Once a year I grab my CFII and do the IPC as my yearly refresher. 

Full service will spoil me . . . As long as you've got something to eat, it will work. Just because you're in the flat part of the state doesn't mean it's not scenic--doesn't it always look better from ~1500 agl? MLJ is on the lake, but fuel is high and I can't eat the view; I'm stopping there southbound so I don't have to leave here at 0500 to arrive at FXE by noon, and my overnight is free. Coming home, the time is all mine.

We need more airports with restaurants. That means more planes need to fly more often. So take your friends up and get the process started!

For those of you who haven't decided what to do with this beautiful weekend, stop in historic Edenton, NC, just SW of Norfolk, VA. We'll be having lots of company on Saturday for our 2nd annual fly-in.  Food, antique airplanes, cars, and pilots, parachutists, banner tow, ag plane demo, USCG SAR demo, C-130 fly-by, Waco and helo rides, Young Eagle rides, and whoever else shows up. 100LL will be $4.25, unless you come to fly Young Eagles for us-- in which case the gas price is lower. MUCH lower. Should be a great day.

Asheville should be beautiful, it's prime leaf-peeping season. Many, many good restaurants, some not too far from the airport but it's not a pedestrian-friendly road. I usually stay and eat with Mom & Dad a half-hour away, so I can't give many nearby places to go. Let us know if they are through renovating the FBO--the new owners were running out of a hangar the last time I was there, all the way at the north end of the runway. Land long.

I'll be passing through AVL at 9000' this evening, heading to my brother's place in S. Ga. Have a good trip!

My wife took these as I was departing towards the sunset on Friday. Picked up my clearance and was through the clouds in 21 seconds. After that, I left them behind and had a beautiful, s-m-o-o-t-h, quiet evening, just me and the stars, on the first leg of my trip to Florida. Finished up in the morning in time to catch the airliner home for supper.

For the last photo, she stood behind another plane on the ramp to block the sun; the top of the rudder and beacon are visible. I love the first shot!

post-54-13468140608441_thumb.jpg

post-54-13468140608871_thumb.jpg

post-54-13468140609239_thumb.jpg

Nah, that's my new Whelen LED belly strobe! It replaced the old, MUCH larger Whelen high-intensity light. Should be good for a pound or two's worth of drag reduction, but as tail-high as we fly, neglible speed increase.

When trouble-shooting it's intermittent operation, there was a warning on the side about high voltage. I thought to myself, how high can it be when it's hooked up to 12V DC? The answer, when it felt like firing, was in the range of 550V! Be careful working on these . . .