Learning to fly again

So while my Mooney is in the shop, I'm doing something I've always wanted to do... get a tailwheel endorsement.  I've always said, the sexy airplanes are all retracts or tailwheels. And I've always been just a little bit embarrassed that I can't fly a taildragger. So I'm addressing that issue and putting it behind me.

This is just pattern work so not all that interesting. But I'm having a great time learning to fly all over again. (Actually the flying is the easy part, being on the ground is the issue.)

• Like 11

Maybe if I got my PPL in a tailwheel I'd feel differently but I feel like tailwheel skills are the quickest to deteriorate without frequent practice.  I feel pretty confident I could not fly for a year then land a 152 without breaking something but a 140 or a Cub? I'd ground loop that thing so fast...

• Like 1

A lot of older taildraggers make it seem windy on calm days.  Your feet need to be ready at all times, do the right thing and just enough of it.  Also, a lot of old designs required constant attention to the rudder in flight. You'll be sharp in a different fashion when done.  A lotta fun.

• Like 1