Airworthiness Directives; McCauley Propeller Systems

Yetti

Yes my 252 that i bought at the beginning of the month had a brand new govenor put on it that is effected by the ad. Seller contacted the company and it’s still covered by 1 year warranty. They will reimbursed me for 4 hours of labor to do the AD. 

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

@StevenL757 and @Deb are you familiar with this one?

And does it apply to Rs with 310hp and TopProps?

Best regards,

-a-

Yes it does unless your governor is listed in table 1 of ASB273C and has not been overhauled or was installed prior to 1/31/2017.

Plus overhauled governors that may have affected bearing installed that was shipped from McCauley  between January 31, 2017 and September 27, 2018 

My governor was overhauled 6/7/18 and so going to contact the shop Monday and see if the affected part could have been installed.

Edited by Steve2
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 6:36 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

I’m happy, my new governor has a B

image.jpg

Dan Long at West Coast Governor Service does really nice work. When I had to change governors for the engine conversion from an IO-360-A3B6D to an A3B6, he found a governor on eBay, purchased it and overhauled it, and took my old governor as a core exchange. It worked perfectly with no adjustment on the new engine. Since he overhauled it at the tail end of the period affected by the AD, I contacted him and he replied:

Your governor has the PMA bearing  SCE59 in it. Our shop has never purchased bearings from McCauley or Cessna.

Skip

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PT20J said:

Dan Long at West Coast Governor Service does really nice work. When I had to change governors for the engine conversion from an IO-360-A3B6D to an A3B6, he found a governor on eBay, purchased it and overhauled it, and took my old governor as a core exchange. It worked perfectly with no adjustment on the new engine. Since he overhauled it at the tail end of the period affected by the AD, I contacted him and he replied:

Your governor has the PMA bearing  SCE59 in it. Our shop has never purchased bearings from McCauley or Cessna.

Skip

Not only does it have a B but the 8130 states it is in compliance with the SB.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve never dealt with them before. Warner propeller in Tucson said my governor was beyond economical repair and wanted to sell me a new one for 2 AMUs. It was working fine and I just wanted it rebuilt because I was rebuilding the engine. I told Warner to just send it back with the prop. West coast only wanted $1100 for an exchange. 

With this notice...and being in annual.....I removed my affected McCauley prop governor and it actually cost me over $500 to get the bearing changed, and the shop essentially wanted to disassemble the unit and put all new gaskets in it.  Mine was new 2 years and about 350 hours ago added to my then Lycomming factory rebuilt engine.  I sent it to New England Propeller.

i plan on going back to McCauley to see what I can glean back from them...

On 10/24/2020 at 1:21 PM, Steve2 said:

Yes it does unless your governor is listed in table 1 of ASB273C and has not been overhauled or was installed prior to 1/31/2017.

Plus overhauled governors that may have affected bearing installed that was shipped from McCauley  between January 31, 2017 and September 27, 2018 

My governor was overhauled 6/7/18 and so going to contact the shop Monday and see if the affected part could have been installed.

South Coast Propeller overhauled my governor, they supplied me with a letter stating that since 1/31/2017 they have only used a PMA bearing pn APS-20028.  Looks like it's worth checking with the last place that overhauled the governor to see if they used McCauley parts or not.

I purchased a brand-new DC290D-F/T5 and installed it in June of this year.   The build date on the governor said 1Q2020 (i.e., this year) and the serial number is 200038, which apparently also indicates it was built this year.    According to the AD the serial number is irrelevant if installed after Jan. 31, 2017 if it appears in Table 2 of the service bulletin.    I just checked yesterday to see whether it has a 'B' stamp, and it does not, so I called the prop shop where I bought it.

They pointed out that compliance is per the Service Bulletin, and the notes in the service bulletin define a bit better which units are subject to the AD in Note 1 and Note 2.   Basically if it was built after Sept. 27, 2018 and is outside of the serial numbers listed in Note 1, it would only be subject to the AD if it has been overhauled, which would be the opportunity for potential introduction of the bad bearing.  If it has never been overhauled (mine obviously has not) and is outside of Note 1, then it is fine.   Otherwise, it needs the 'B' stamp to indicate that it has the proper bearing, or it is subject to the AD.

So that's good news for me and I can indicate compliance per the s/n and mfg dates indicated in the AD.   I was getting ready to take it back out, which is a pain.

The shop indicated that the factory no longer puts the 'B' stamp on new units since new production is now well outside the dates and s/ns of the problem units.

21 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I purchased a brand-new DC290D-F/T5 and installed it in June of this year.   The build date on the governor said 1Q2020 (i.e., this year) and the serial number is 200038, which apparently also indicates it was built this year.    According to the AD the serial number is irrelevant if installed after Jan. 31, 2017 if it appears in Table 2 of the service bulletin.    I just checked yesterday to see whether it has a 'B' stamp, and it does not, so I called the prop shop where I bought it.

They pointed out that compliance is per the Service Bulletin, and the notes in the service bulletin define a bit better which units are subject to the AD in Note 1 and Note 2.   Basically if it was built after Sept. 27, 2018 and is outside of the serial numbers listed in Note 1, it would only be subject to the AD if it has been overhauled, which would be the opportunity for potential introduction of the bad bearing.  If it has never been overhauled (mine obviously has not) and is outside of Note 1, then it is fine.   Otherwise, it needs the 'B' stamp to indicate that it has the proper bearing, or it is subject to the AD.

So that's good news for me and I can indicate compliance per the s/n and mfg dates indicated in the AD.   I was getting ready to take it back out, which is a pain.

The shop indicated that the factory no longer puts the 'B' stamp on new units since new production is now well outside the dates and s/ns of the problem units.

I had a similar situation. My governor was overhauled and installed in 2018 but the repair station that overhauled it did not use the McCauley bearing and supplied me with a copy of the work order showing the parts used.

I was curious about how to document this so I called Tom Teplik who is the FAA engineer listed as the contact person in the AD. Tom said that the AD would apply since Applicability (2) reads: Models listed in table 2 of McCauley ASB273C, with any serial number, that have an installation date after January 31, 2017... He suggested that an A&P could sign off compliance without performing the inspection in the service bulletin if willing to accept the documentation from the repair station. Tom also said that I could not stamp a B on the unit unless the service bulletin had actually been performed.

My IA and I agreed to the following logbook entry:

Complied with AD 2020-19-06 by determining that McCauley governor P/N DC290D1-F/T22, S/N 990751 installed on 10/25/18 contains a SCE-59 bearing and not a BA-59 bearing per West Coast Governor Service work order 1101 dated 8/9/18.

Skip

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PT20J said:

I had a similar situation. My governor was overhauled and installed in 2018 but the repair station that overhauled it did not use the McCauley bearing and supplied me with a copy of the work order showing the parts used.

I was curious about how to document this so I called Tom Teplik who is the FAA engineer listed as the contact person in the AD. Tom said that the AD would apply since Applicability (2) reads: Models listed in table 2 of McCauley ASB273C, with any serial number, that have an installation date after January 31, 2017... He suggested that an A&P could sign off compliance without performing the inspection in the service bulletin if willing to accept the documentation from the repair station. Tom also said that I could not stamp a B on the unit unless the service bulletin had actually been performed.

My IA and I agreed to the following logbook entry:

Complied with AD 2020-19-06 by determining that McCauley governor P/N DC290D1-F/T22, S/N 990751 installed on 10/25/18 contains a SCE-59 bearing and not a BA-59 bearing per West Coast Governor Service work order 1101 dated 8/9/18.

Skip

Note 2 in the ASB sez, "Documents provided by the governor overhaul facility may be utilized in determining the effectivity of suspect overhauled or repaired governors."

So I think you're good!

• Like 1