Amps jumping around on TSIO360-LB

231LV

Just took a flight and noticed the amp output on the JPI 900 jumps from -9 to +15 amps and everything in between on every cycle. Voltage holds steady around 13.8...maybe hits 13.9v then drops back to 13.8v. My gut tells me this is not something to monitor but wanted some input from other 231 drivers regarding what they typically see. Am I missing a problem developing?

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

What’s a “cycle”?

By ohms law, current = voltage divided by resistance (i.e., load). If the load is constant and the voltage is constant, the error is in the instrumentation. 

Skip

Sorry...couldnt think of a more appropriate word....the output would show -9 then +15 then -2 then +11 then -4 and so on and so on...

1 hour ago, milotron said:

Check for a broken wire at the alternator. i had the same condition and the large wire had broken at the crimp connector and making intermittent contact but was hidden by the rubber boot over it.

will do....thanks

As Skip says above, it’s an indication error.  It would be impossible to have no alternator output(negative current indication) and still have positive voltage indication.

Look for loose wires at the alternator shunt.

Clarence

I tend to agree it is probably in the circuitry, the wiring or the voltage regulator. The coupler in the drive mechanism is a weak spot but it tends to be binary, in other words it works or does not work it is not often a matter of intermittent slippage. That does not mean that it never fails in that mode though. 

I’m not to sure what the back of your master switch looks like but when I owned my 1980 M20J I had the same problem. Mooney uses spade connectors (push on connectors) on the back of the master switch and every couple of years I would get wild swings on my amp. gauge. I used a screwdriver and pushed the spade connectors in tight and that solved the problem. My master switch had several wires attached to it. PM me if you want I can probably explain it a little better.

• Like 1

I recently had a similar issue where my Amp meter would randomly go crazy. My voltage on the JPI would also vary. It got resolved by spraying the master switch connections with contact cleaner. Got the idea from another thread on the site. 

If not familiar...

Amp meters are technically volt meters, reading voltage difference across the shunt... the shunt is a precise low resistance resistor...  

all of the electrons Being used by the plane are coursing through the shunt... The amp meter is reading the voltage drop and displaying it on the gauge that is calibrated in Amps...

there are two thin wires going from both ends of the shunt to the gauge... one probably got loose...

Use caution with shunts... not a lot of insulation near the device that carries a lot of electricity...  :)

Accidentally shorting this thing to ground... can melt aluminum...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 10/22/2020 at 8:43 PM, milotron said:

Check for a broken wire at the alternator. i had the same condition and the large wire had broken at the crimp connector and making intermittent contact but was hidden by the rubber boot over it.

I experienced the exact same failure and intermittent contact in my Encore.   

Bill

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

all of the electrons Being used by the plane are coursing through the shunt... The amp meter is reading the voltage drop and displaying it on the gauge that is calibrated in Amps...

Depends on how the shunt is connected in the system.  As a load meter, it would measure what is being used by the airplane.  Without looking, I don't know if Mooney included the battery load or not.  Could be either way.  My airplane has the charge/discharge meter only showing a couple amps going into the battery to keep it charged, or if the alternator failed, a discharge showing the load of equipment and radios.  Yep, three different schemes for measuring amps, all used by various mfgrs at various times.

OP, amps jumping and volts steady, sounds like a loose connection of the shunt circuit.  

• 1 month later...

OK...as a followup for anyone else experiencing something similar...turns out the master switch connection appears to be the culprit...lose wire BUT if it persists, a replacement master switch will be necessary since my mechanic found a lose pole on the switch...still, after he re-tightened the wire, he could not get it to fail so that's a plus....all other avenues were explored and eliminated...this was all done during annual...

• Like 2

On 10/27/2020 at 5:36 PM, Mike A said:

I recently had a similar issue where my Amp meter would randomly go crazy. My voltage on the JPI would also vary. It got resolved by spraying the master switch connections with contact cleaner. Got the idea from another thread on the site. 

Winner winner chicken dinner?

• Like 1

In my J I had the master switch fail in this way. It was a loose rivet on one of the field circuit terminals. Your symptom is indicative of a bad connection somewhere in the field circuit. It could be anywhere, including internal to the master switch.

• Like 1