Replacing ETA Switches with ETA 3120 Seies

I ordered one some time ago, it looks like it would be a "reasonable" path. I would talk to the new Mooney company owners on this regarding an approval. As the holder of the type design they would much more likely be able to successfully pursue the change.

Hi Norman

Thanks I will contact them. My bird goes to Sebastian Avionics in Merritt Island tomorrow for its new panel. I have got to get an answer quickly. What do you think of my replacing the rocker switches with toggle switches with stainless steel guards? High reliability toggle circuit breaker switches are available. It is kind of a retro look , I friend of mine just used them on his Velocity they looked great.

Thanks

In that case...

There are several really nice modern switches available... nicely labeled, nicely lit, built for airplanes....

The only requirement...

• They are switches only, not CB switches....
  • They need to be wired to a separate CB....

Somebody has done this around here with a very similar result to what the new Mooneys are using....

Its a bit more work and takes up a touch more space for the additional CBs...

But, if you are going with modern flight displays... you get a lot of extra space with those....

PP thoughts only, not a CB switch guru...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

In that case...

There are several really nice modern switches available... nicely labeled, nicely lit, built for airplanes....

The only requirement...

• They are switches only, not CB switches....
  • They need to be wired to a separate CB....

Somebody has done this around here with a very similar result to what the new Mooneys are using....

Its a bit more work and takes up a touch more space for the additional CBs...

But, if you are going with modern flight displays... you get a lot of extra space with those....

PP thoughts only, not a CB switch guru...

Best regards,

-a-

I am going to use MS stainless steel circuit breaker toggle switches. They are very high reliability and with them there is no need to add C/Bs. I am also using stainless steel switch guards. A friend just installed them on his Velocity. Sort of a retro look-- like a 65 XKE.

Scottspanel.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xavierde said:

I remember Don Maxwell posting a couple of pictures of a J panel redone with new style switches. It might be worth checking with him.

I did they use Carling switches like the Mooneys. I think they look to big. Also they add a circuit breaker for eahj c/b switch.

1 hour ago, Speed Merchant said:

I am going to use MS stainless steel circuit breaker toggle switches.

Do share the paperwork required to make this work, once available. Pretty please with a cherry on top.

On 10/29/2020 at 8:27 AM, Speed Merchant said:

not much help from Mooney

Curt,

Mooney doesn't have any retrofit approved options to install the later style switches. The only approved switches are what is called out in the schematics or Parts Manual.

Stacey Ellis
Service Center Manager
Mooney International Corporation

An A&P can sign off on a replacement device that is functionally equivalent as long as it falls under the category of minor alteration.  If the new switches are similar in function (breaker/switch) it seems like this could be an option.

Far 1.1 defines a major alteration.  Part 43, Appendix A states that for an electrical system alteration to be major it must be a change to the basic design of the electrical system.

I do not think replacing one switch/breaker with an equivalent switch/breaker used in a modern certified aviation application comes close the definition of a major alteration.

I had no idea that the new switches were so inexpensive and will look into them as an option for my panel upgrades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Schllc said:

The new style rocker switches tend to break pretty easily. I wouldn’t use them if it were me. 

Yep I've got big clumsy fingers. In the past 60 hours I have had problems with the master switch, broke the avionics master switch and the boost pump switch. I a a great service tester for switches!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2