GFC500 for M20F/G

kpaul

The GFC500 for the F/G is fully certified and flying!  Expect 2-3 weeks for the PMAd parts kit to be available to ship.

I picked up my F, which was the certification aircraft, yesterday.  I was only able to fly one coupled approach (LPV) into my destination. I wasn't up for much after the 5 hour flight.

I of course have the full system to include yaw damper. I did like the yaw damper in the climb, as I was able to be feet on the floor and the ball was centered the entire time.  

I have quite a bit of time behind bigger aircraft autopilots so the transition was very easy and straight forward as are all the modes of operation. 

One a side note for the 64 and earlier aircraft, Garmin is in the process of accepting the certification aircraft for those models. Due to the flight control and empennage differences they could not use the current E for the earlier models.  So for those of you wondering, the GFC500 is on its way to you as well.

20201021_120924.jpg

20201021_120931.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, JimB said:

Very cool. How much useful load did you lose with the full 3axis 4 servo package? (I am assuming you got the electric trim)

I had a Century 41 previously with electric trim.  So I'm not sure what the actual weight difference between the old and new.  Unfortunately, they did a re-weight of the aircraft. And let's just say that over the years the plane has put on a few pounds that were not accounted for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kpaul said:

I had a Century 41 previously with electric trim.  So I'm not sure what the actual weight difference between the old and new.  Unfortunately, they did a re-weight of the aircraft. And let's just say that over the years the plane has put on a few pounds that were not accounted for.

Mine too!! I pulled all the Brittain stuff, the vacuum pump, etc  and every left over wire there was and reweighed mine after a panel redo and gained about 10lbs! I was hoping to lose about 10 but at least now I know my W/B is accurate. Glad your happy with it. My Garmin CAM knows I am ready to order the kit today if he can give me the PN. Looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, nosky2high said:

So what components are needed for a basic stand alone GFC500 install? We have the legacy Garmin300XL that still works great, no need for a bunch of flat screens, just need an autopilot that will follow the GPS course line.

At least one Garmin G5 (or GI 275, or G3X Touch).

The GMC 507 mode controller.

2-axis pitch and roll servos.  (Pitch-trim and yaw damper servos are optional.  If you don't get the trim servo, the display will prompt you to trim manually when the autopilot is engaged.)

GAD 29 nav data adapter (not required with GI 275) to interface to the navigator.  Not sure whether the 300XL is compatible or not.

Am I missing anything?

20 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

At least one Garmin G5 (or GI 275, or G3X Touch).

The GMC 507 mode controller.

2-axis pitch and roll servos.  (Pitch-trim and yaw damper servos are optional.  If you don't get the trim servo, the display will prompt you to trim manually when the autopilot is engaged.)

GAD 29 nav data adapter (not required with GI 275) to interface to the navigator.  Not sure whether the 300XL is compatible or not.

Am I missing anything?

I think the Certified G5 only works with the GTN7 and 6 series, the GPS175, the GNC355, the GNX375, and the GNS400, 430, 480, and 530. I took a quick look on the installation manual and there was nothing stating the 300XL is compatible. maybe someone else can chime in with a better answer.

7 hours ago, Skates97 said:

That's great! I know it is posted around here somewhere else, but how far behind them starting on your F was the E that they are working on? I'm just trying to get a feel for the timeline on the short bodies.

I want to say 3 months behind, but I am not really sure, it might be a little less. Maybe a Christmas Present to yourself. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nebhuskr123 said:

Great news and thanks for update! Any idea on when it will be ready for the C?

I think the E started about 3 months +/- behind.  

As for the pre 65s, they are probably 8 to 10 months out. 

On 10/22/2020 at 9:11 AM, kpaul said:

Uh, I would have stopped them from doing that. Nothing good comes from a re-weigh.

-Robert

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Uh, I would have stopped them from doing that. Nothing good comes from a re-weigh.

-Robert

Not always the case.  We gained some useful load by weighing ours.  You might also want to check to see if they weighed it with empty (except unusable) tanks or if they made a calculation to account for FOB.  If the latter, I'd weigh it again without the fuel.

37 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

Not always the case.  We gained some useful load by weighing ours.  You might also want to check to see if they weighed it with empty (except unusable) tanks or if they made a calculation to account for FOB.  If the latter, I'd weigh it again without the fuel.

You can always weigh it and then decide if you want to log it or not. Except in this case they have to make some w&b update to the manual as part of their work. But most would just do it based on the equipment update, not reweigh it.

-robert

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

According to their w&b it was empty of fuel.

12 hours ago, kpaul said:

137#

I gained 7 back removing the vac and standby vac sysyems.

Holy crap!  137lbs?  That’s a lot of “dirt” buildup over the years.  They probably weren’t as anal as you would have been about making sure everything that was supposed to be out of the airplane actually was.

I think I might reweigh it very carefully after that!

137#
I gained 7 back removing the vac and standby vac sysyems.

This happened to me, they didn’t remove the fuel but used the fuel gauges to calculate fuel weight, which were inaccurate.
Another shortcut is to fill the tanks, which also would come out heavy. I won’t let them do it, apparently they suck at math and weighing is easier.