Hot Start problem

1967 M20F. Have new starter new battery both new solenoids. When I’m trying to start it after shutting it down hear buzzing noise and no starter rotation, or very small ¼ turn rotation. After few attempts it’ll start turning. Not a problem when it’s cold. Did anyone had that problem? May be it’s high amperage wiring? Appreciate your inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Newowner said:

1967 M20F. Have new starter new battery both new solenoids. When I’m trying to start it after shutting it down hear buzzing noise and no starter rotation, or very small ¼ turn rotation. After few attempts it’ll start turning. Not a problem when it’s cold. Did anyone had that problem? May be it’s high amperage wiring? Appreciate your inputs.

Well the buzzing is probably good as that is likely the shower of sparks.  That buzzing should only happen during a start with the key in the start position and it’s usually hard to hear if you don’t pause in the start position before pressing the key.  If that’s the buzz you hear, it’s normal. 

The not turning over is not so good.  Doing this warm doesn’t add anything for me.  I’d be troubleshooting electrical... maybe before/after starter solenoid all the way to starter.  Does cockpit power seem normal during these episodes or do lights dim?

Actually, check the engine ground and make sure everything is grounded really well.  You can have a power wire but you need a solid ground at the starter to complete the circuit.

Power stays normal... it’s brand new battery. And I thing buzzing sound coming ether from starter or solenoid which were replaced less then a year ago. I’m thinking it’s wires might be corroded. Don’t know why it’s only happening when plane is hot. Cold start is normal.

18 minutes ago, Newowner said:

Power stays normal... it’s brand new battery. And I thing buzzing sound coming ether from starter or solenoid which were replaced less then a year ago. I’m thinking it’s wires might be corroded. Don’t know why it’s only happening when plane is hot. Cold start is normal.

Next time you start the plane, turn the switch to start but don’t push yet.  You should hear a buzz.  That’s the shower of sparks which works in concert with your left mag to start the engine.  If you’re hearing a different buzz, then maybe it’s part of the issue, but the sos buzz is normal and required.

1 hour ago, Newowner said:

Thanks for all your advises. Bussing sound only comes when I push the key to start. For sure it’s not shower of sparks. I’m thinking it might be solenoid since I don’t think starter has one.

Yeah, that makes sense.  The troubleshooting guide Doc suggested leads through a nice step by step diagnosis.  Making sure the engine ground strap is there and properly connected is a pretty easy quick check.

12 minutes ago, Newowner said:

Trying to locate grounding strap to the engine. Anybody know where it should be?

Braided cable from the top of the right side/co-pilot foot well to the accessory case of the engine (If I remember correctly, mine goes to one of the studs for the gov. adapter plate)

5 hours ago, Newowner said:

Attachment point of grounding strap to the firewall was little loose. Should it be very tight? Hope that was a problem.

I’d remove it and clean the contact surfaces at both ends before reinstalling it.  Torque to the specs for the size of fastener.

Clarence