CO Monitor - my solution

Graf_Aviator

Hello @Mooniacs,

this is my first post, so a quick introduction first -  I am 50 years old, live in Munich, Germany and just bought a N-reg Mooney Ovation 2GX here in Germany a few months ago. Got my PPL license about a year ago and was mostly flying banged up rental 172s so far. The Mooney is my first own plane, I am having so much fun with my bird. B) Best buying decision ever...

Being able to read all the stories, tips and experiences here on Mooneyspace.com really helped me a great lot already. I am glad that I have joined here!

One of the things missing since day one in my Ovation was a CO Monitor. I looked at a few options and finally decided on a little, properly priced and (in my opinion) nice looking solution.

I have bought a SENKO SP2nd CO Monitor and gave it a good spot in my cockpit -> The utterly ugly TELEX hand microphone had to go - it now lives in the side pocket.

Took me just a little time to CAD-design a connector that can be directly screwed on to the TELEX mounting place using the original screws. Also there is a little back-plate that gets screwed on to the CO Monitor, it just clicks onto the connector. Was easy to print in just a few minutes on my 3D Printer in PLA.

I got the SENKO CO Monitor here in Germany for about 200 USD (180 EUR). The battery and the sensor lasts for about 2 years (manufacturer claim). It is small, 2 different alarms can be set at adjustable thresholds - I have set it to 30 ppm and 60 ppm. At 60 ppm there is a very loud alarm going off, it is shaking and rattling with LEDs flashing, so it cannot be overlooked nor overheard - I can hear it while wearing my A20 headset.

So far I am very happy with it. Sometimes during the run-up I am getting a few ppms on the display, obviously a lot more if the storm window is open. During cruise it is always reporting 0ppm even with the heater on - quite happy about that :) Just gives me that little extra of security feeling I was looking for.

I am happy to share the 3D connector model should someone be interested. Or if you are coming to my neck of the woods, stop by the house and I'll print you one.

Happy landings!

Greetings from Munich, Germany

TC

1278492141_CO_Monitor-1.thumb.jpeg.91a2df4d3cb9a18e0bc60b23562f238e.jpeg

475692593_CO_Monitor-2.thumb.jpeg.029d0ca3cc39cb3ab869c6da307c781c.jpeg

1065450425_CO_Monitor-3.thumb.jpeg.b6dbca424c5052d9a6e93501f40c1587.jpeg

1541871222_CO_Monitor-4.thumb.jpeg.fe487e7dd9a41258b0a06f4b75c2bbc4.jpeg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Graf_Aviator said:

Hello @Mooniacs,

this is my first post, so a quick introduction first -  I am 50 years old, live in Munich, Germany and just bought a N-reg Mooney Ovation 2GX here in Germany a few months ago. Got my PPL license about a year ago and was mostly flying banged up rental 172s so far. The Mooney is my first own plane, I am having so much fun with my bird. B) Best buying decision ever...

Being able to read all the stories, tips and experiences here on Mooneyspace.com really helped me a great lot already. I am glad that I have joined here!

One of the things missing since day one in my Ovation was a CO Monitor. I looked at a few options and finally decided on a little, properly priced and (in my opinion) nice looking solution.

I have bought a SENKO SP2nd CO Monitor and gave it a good spot in my cockpit -> The utterly ugly TELEX hand microphone had to go - it now lives in the side pocket.

Took me just a little time to CAD-design a connector that can be directly screwed on to the TELEX mounting place using the original screws. Also there is a little back-plate that gets screwed on to the CO Monitor, it just clicks onto the connector. Was easy to print in just a few minutes on my 3D Printer in PLA.

I got the SENKO CO Monitor here in Germany for about 200 USD (180 EUR). The battery and the sensor lasts for about 2 years (manufacturer claim). It is small, 2 different alarms can be set at adjustable thresholds - I have set it to 30 ppm and 60 ppm. At 60 ppm there is a very loud alarm going off, it is shaking and rattling with LEDs flashing, so it cannot be overlooked nor overheard - I can hear it while wearing my A20 headset.

So far I am very happy with it. Sometimes during the run-up I am getting a few ppms on the display, obviously a lot more if the storm window is open. During cruise it is always reporting 0ppm even with the heater on - quite happy about that :) Just gives me that little extra of security feeling I was looking for.

I am happy to share the 3D connector model should someone be interested. Or if you are coming to my neck of the woods, stop by the house and I'll print you one.

Happy landings!

TC

1278492141_CO_Monitor-1.thumb.jpeg.91a2df4d3cb9a18e0bc60b23562f238e.jpeg

475692593_CO_Monitor-2.thumb.jpeg.029d0ca3cc39cb3ab869c6da307c781c.jpeg

1065450425_CO_Monitor-3.thumb.jpeg.b6dbca424c5052d9a6e93501f40c1587.jpeg

1541871222_CO_Monitor-4.thumb.jpeg.fe487e7dd9a41258b0a06f4b75c2bbc4.jpeg

Welcome, and Very nicely done!

Very nice mount!  great spot to keep an eye on it and hopefully hear it.  Congratulations on the O!  

For those of you with Sensorcons they are working on a mount that works with their standard clip on the unit itself.  I just received a prototype version and it's very nice.  Hopefully they will be offering it in the next few months.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 4

So just a few days ago I start the airplane. What is that beeping? Oh, it’s the CO2 monitor. Never seen that before, readings around 50. That’s not good. Then I recall that the wind is a direct tailwind, 10G20. And the window is open. Maybe that’s it. I taxi into the lane and turn 90 degrees to the wind. Reading drops to 0. Relief. I decide the airplane is fine and depart but keep an extra sharp eye on the monitor. All good, it was the tailwind. First time for that experience in probably 800 Mooney hours with a monitor.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I have my $20 co2 monitor from amazon. It has a digital readout of co2 levels. When by muff cracked it told me. Now that these are legally required in homes the prices have plummeted . 

But what is the sensitivity of a home unit? What is the alarm level? OSHA and Fire Safety limits are much higher than I want to breathe while flying.

24 minutes ago, Hank said:

But what is the sensitivity of a home unit? What is the alarm level? OSHA and Fire Safety limits are much higher than I want to breathe while flying.

Sensitive down to 30ppm. Alarm is progressive. So 150ppm in 10 min or immediately for higher. OSHA says you can work an 8 hour shift at 200. When my muff cracked I got 2,000ppm with the heat on snd 500ppm with heat off. 

-Robert 

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Sensitive down to 30ppm. Alarm is progressive. So 150ppm in 10 min or immediately for higher. OSHA says you can work an 8 hour shift at 200. When my muff cracked I got 2,000ppm with the heat on snd 500ppm with heat off. 

-Robert 

This is not correct.  The OSHA PEL (Permissible Exposure Level) is 50 PPM for an 8 hour exposure.  The 8-hour PEL for CO in maritime operations is also 50 ppm. Maritime workers, however, must be removed from the exposure if the CO concentration in the atmosphere exceeds 100 ppm. The peak CO level for employees engaged in Ro-Ro operations (roll-on roll-off operations during cargo loading and unloading) is 200 ppm.  An 8 hour continual exposure to 200 ppm could be lethal.

23 minutes ago, whiskytango said:

This is not correct.  The OSHA PEL (Permissible Exposure Level) is 50 PPM for an 8 hour exposure.  The 8-hour PEL for CO in maritime operations is also 50 ppm. Maritime workers, however, must be removed from the exposure if the CO concentration in the atmosphere exceeds 100 ppm. The peak CO level for employees engaged in Ro-Ro operations (roll-on roll-off operations during cargo loading and unloading) is 200 ppm.  An 8 hour continual exposure to 200 ppm could be lethal.

it’s 100ppm for employees should be removed. 

so 30ppm is sensitive enough

like I said a cracked muff is 2,000 ppm min  I saw 3,000 for a bit  

1) Exposure limits. The carbon monoxide content of the atmosphere in a room, building, vehicle, railcar or any enclosed space shall be maintained at not more than 50 parts per million (0.005%) as an 8-hour time-weighted average and employees shall be removed from the enclosed space if the carbon monoxide concentration exceeds 100 parts per million (0.01%).

-Robert 

16 hours ago, DanM20C said:

Very nice mount!  great spot to keep an eye on it and hopefully hear it.  Congratulations on the O!  

For those of you with Sensorcons they are working on a mount that works with their standard clip on the unit itself.  I just received a prototype version and it's very nice.  Hopefully they will be offering it in the next few months.

Cheers,

Dan

GoPro camera mounts are an exact match for the clip on the back of the Sensorcons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Graf_Aviator said:

Greetings back from Fulda, Germany :-) And welcome here!

(I have bought a 1995 M20J aboout one year ago, and used to fly club aircraft for ~20 years before that)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

BTW... my Sensorcon needs recalibration... best way to get that done?

If it weren't for covid we could have calibrated it this past weekend at the Summit. 

I have calibration gas that I was intending to bring to Airventure.  Too bad we didn't think of it when Scott flew here a few months ago.  If you really need it done you can send it to me or back to Sensorcon.  Otherwise you can wait until the next time we cross paths, Airventure, Summit, stop in KONA, etc..

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

How sensitive is placement of the sensor?  I keep mine on the floor, because I haven't gotten around to attaching with velcro yet to the instrument panel.  I occasionally get high readings on the ground but in cruise it is 0 to 1.  

I would suggest using 3M Dual-lock tape.  It's much more secure, with velcro hook/loop tape, I've knocked it off with my knee a couple times.

The advantage of the ultra sensitivity of some models...

May be a day in advance warning...  Or a flight in advance warning...  the sooner you know about a broken exhaust leak, the better off you will be...

The challenge of what number on the meter is OK to fly with is great...except...,

if you are seeing elevated levels when you decide to depart... you know broken exhaust systems don’t have a history of failing slowly... the sheet metal tears open and that small number that seemed acceptable in some osha regulated environments.... isn’t going to stay very stable...

Great shared details gents! (Including the tail wind on the ground experience...)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Welcome TC,

I also recently installed a CO monitor in my aircraft.
Not as fancy as your solution though, simply used some velcro to attach it to the lower part of the middle console.
Will provide a photo as soon as a get back in the hangar.
Good idea to make an 3D print adaptor for the mic-holder. I already y removed the mic.

N913KS & N99YY
Obviously our aircraft were neighbors until some month's ago:

• Yours at EDMA, mine at EDMQ (now based in EDKA)
  • Marc Ulm made nice pics and videos of our aircraft some years ago (before we owned them), e.g. N913KS (mine)
    • And this is yours N99YY:

It's a small world we live in ..

Regards,

Matthias

• Like 2