Horizon P1000

rotorman

Does this instrustrument have the capability fo accepting the total time on the airframe. My old tach is getting wobbly and one of the hour counter digits will not turn over. I would like to replace it but I would like to be able to enter the total airframe time when I install it. Is that possible on this tach?

Many a horizon tach has been added to LBs getting the 310hp upgrade...
There should be plenty of experience around here to be able to answer that question...
It has a few other nice to have functions as well...
Best regards,
-a-

You’re probably thinking of the smaller foot print EI R1's I believe that were used in all the G1000's before the O3 s/w. Still used on the TNs I believe. Never seen a Horizons in longbody but I am sure it's possible but popular with the vintage Mooney's because their size matched the Vintage tach/rpm gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, kortopates said:

You’re probably thinking of the smaller foot print EI R1's I believe that were used in all the G1000's before the O3 s/w. Still used on the TNs I believe. Never seen a Horizons in longbody but I am sure it's possible but popular with the vintage Mooney's because their size matched the Vintage tach/rpm gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy Cris had this (I believe) in his Screamin’ Eagle...

He really liked instruments... (MAPA CFII)

The Eagle pretty much started as an empty slate... ready to be upgraded...

Of course my memory is fuzzy, and unfortunately, Cris has left the building.... :)

He also chose an insight engine monitor...

Best regards,

-a-

note: the colored arcs on this one are not correct for any Mooneys...  It sure would be nice to have a 2850 rpm redline! :)

314BCEEB-9AC8-4612-A507-4EA45154F956.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

My buddy Cris had this (I believe) in his Screamin’ Eagle...

He really liked instruments... (MAPA CFII)

The Eagle pretty much started as an empty slate... ready to be upgraded...

Of course my memory is fuzzy, and unfortunately, Cris has left the building.... :)

He also chose an insight engine monitor...

Best regards,

-a-

note: the colored arcs on this one are not correct for any Mooneys...  It sure would be nice to have a 2850 rpm redline! :)

314BCEEB-9AC8-4612-A507-4EA45154F956.jpeg

My Mooney with 310 HP STC has one too.  Redline is 2700RPM.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Lloyd said:

I ran one on a Bonanza for about 4500 hours.  Always worked.  Once it alerted me to a broken P-lead, a nice safety related benefit.

+1 for additional safety. 

I will have to upgrade to a JPI 900 potentially in the next few years.  I am wondering if JPI has a similar feature to monitor the MAGs?  If not, I will keep it on the right panel.

9 hours ago, nosky2high said:

Yes, they can set the total time as well as various rpm limitations to whatever you want. Be advised that the horizon tach may not be compatible with certain electronic ignition systems out there.

I have a Surefly and a Slick. Any idea if the Horizon is compatible?

Expect that it has something to do with the wasted spark that an ordinary mag has...

And the way the electronic mags account for all four strokes...

It may make sense to query the regular mag for RPM sensing..?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a- 

This quote from the Horizon manual: Recording tachometer, such as the P-1000, are considered by the FAA to record engine hours, not airframe hours. Thus, the tachometer should be ordered with zero hours if being installed with a zero time engine. Allowing the tachometer to run past engine changes in hopes to accumulate total “Time In Service” is not proper, as the engine operates long before the aircraft leaves the ground, see FAR 1.0. 

This statement doesn't seem to make sense. If the engine is changed then the engine hours are zeroed in the logbook but the tach continues to record total airframe time which is used by most shops for airframe maintenance. Are they suggesting you should send the Horizon back to the factory for a reset after an engine change? I didn't read FAR 1.0 but this seems silly. 

And this bit of information from another forum:

Buyer beware...

Horizon makes a good tachometer, but be aware that it is incompatible with some electronic ignitions including Pmag, and Surefly.

Even more concerning service. Very often, they will simply refuse to transfer the STC to another plane. If so, they charge an exorbitant amount like the poster above mentioned. Have had many customers run into this.

Several years ago I replaced the engine in my RV-6. I wanted the Horizon tach reset to reflect new hours. It was a unit I had purchased, and being in an experimental there was no STC involved. I was quoted $320 plus shipping both ways.

Again, it is a good product but they seem to just like to sell units and not deal with them after the sale.

I was told by Airtech in Auburn, WA that my Stewart Warner tach, pn 829875, is not repairable due to parts availability. Besides Horizon can anyone recommend another stand alone tach that could be used as a replacement? The SW is a 3 1/8 in face in my 20J, 24-1033. Mitchell makes a mechanical one but it comes without range markings.

5 hours ago, N231BN said:

Surefly is in the process of certifying an adapter to use with the Horizon tach. A magneto's P-leads signal is AC, the polarity reverses every time it fires. The signal output of the Surefly is DC positive.

I just got off the phone with Surefly. They have the adapter available. They are calling it a Tach2. Price $162. Thanks for the tip.

7 hours ago, rotorman said:

I was told by Airtech in Auburn, WA that my Stewart Warner tach, pn 829875, is not repairable due to parts availability. Besides Horizon can anyone recommend another stand alone tach that could be used as a replacement? The SW is a 3 1/8 in face in my 20J, 24-1033. Mitchell makes a mechanical one but it comes without range markings.

Most people are migrating to primary engine monitors...

EI, JPI, and a few others...

Check in with your mechanic on setting or resetting engine hours on the clock... this is a proper logging methodology question...

Most tachs can’t be reset... your log books hold the key to when OHs were done...

There isn’t a requirement to have the engine hour meter match the engine it self...

My airframe hours are recorded from day one... it’s on its second engine already... and keeps ticking away...

The engine log book started with a Zero time engine... note in the log with the airframe hours so the owner knows what it is he has... on both... with one clock...

PP thoughts not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

Most people are migrating to primary engine monitors...

EI, JPI, and a few others...

Check in with your mechanic on setting or resetting engine hours on the clock... this is a proper logging methodology question...

Most tachs can’t be reset... your log books hold the key to when OHs were done...

There isn’t a requirement to have the engine hour meter match the engine it self...

My airframe hours are recorded from day one... it’s on its second engine already... and keeps ticking away...

The engine log book started with a Zero time engine... note in the log with the airframe hours so the owner knows what it is he has... on both... with one clock...

PP thoughts not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

My present tach is original with the airplane, built in 1980, and shows total airframe time. I'm a bit of purest, I'm afraid. I like the original gauges and would not want to go to an engine monitor. And for the same reason I have rejected the Horizon.  I find Mitchell has a drop in replacement for the original tach that can be set at purchase to total hours and custom marked for the correct range markings. It's available through Aircraft Spruce for $332 including customization. My question know is how long is the tach cable? I would like to replace it as well.