M20C shot up by WW2 anti aircraft cannon!

M20R

I was watching the "Weapon Hunter" on the Smithsonian channel yesterday. The story was about the Oerlikon 20 mm anti-aircraft cannon used by the Navy during WW2. At the end of the story they test fired the weapon and the target was a derelict Mooney N5913Q. Since they didn't have any real explosive rounds, they just shot it up with lead rounds and then detonated a small charge inside the airplane. Pretty spectacular ending for a Mooney.  

Great memory, Larry!

I see Fred’s name on the ownership trail...

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N5913Q

Still not sure how the title of the video makes any sense... the Mooney is pretty much a copy of the P51 Mustang... not anything built in Japan... how does this get any pay back?

Best regards,

-a-

On 10/18/2020 at 12:37 PM, Larry said:

Wasn't that Fred Carter's Mooney?    Does anyone remember him from the old Mooney email list?

Larry

I do.

Wasn't he the one that always professed he would cruise faster when he climbed above his final altitude and then descended to his cruise altitude, carrying that extra speed on to eternity? :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yetti said:

And he starts the segment on a carrier.  Everyone knows the Carriers were all out at sea during the Pearl Harbor Attack.   The same carriers that then took out the Japanese carriers at Midway. Huge tactical blunder for Japan.

I alway think of the final scene in the movie Tora Tora Tora, when, after the Pearl Harbor attack, Admiral Yamamoto says "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant".  Although there is no proof that he actually said it or wrote it, truer words were never spoken!

• 2 years later...

Just ran across this thread while looking up my old tail number.

Super sad to see these guys blow up my old mooney.  I bought her from Fred and flew her about 100 hrs before the engine blew out on me one day when I was just outside the Atlanta bravo.  Ended up doing a dead stick into Paulding.  

You never forget your first airplane.  It's where I learned to land (without flaps since they never worked).

I pulled out some of the old radios and upgraded avionics some.  Replaced the old generator with an alternator.  Cleaned up the interior and got some fresh carpet installed.  Replaced all the glass too.  Installed my Gamin 796 right on top of the glare shield which did a great job keeping me from being lost.  

• Like 3