Incorporating JPI 900 Ovation 2

V1VRV2

I have a 2002 Ovation 2. I’d like to add a JPI EDM 900 and remove the Moritz gauges. My panel is pretty packed. As it sits now the 900 wont fit.

My idea was to move the 6 pack up with the removal of the Moritz and put the #2 NAV and STBY AI under the HSI and TC. That would leave space left of the elevator trim and flap indicators for the 900 preferably horizontal mounted.  If not then vertical. Maybe I could fit a 930? Has anyone done this?

I’d like to have a new panel cut and laser engraved with N number and placards.

I would like to do the 310hp STC and believe the JPI 900 will suffice as the sole engine tachometer? 

Anyone recommend a shop that can do this work? My budget is $10,000. Is that as realistic number of $ bills?

B513BD1F-239C-4C21-A1AD-21CDAC09D8F1.jpeg

I don't think its realistic.  The JPI install itself is going to be close to 10k and cutting a new panel and rearranging everything is going to cost.  It will fit vertically where your standby AI is located.  You may need to move it and the TKS controller over to the other side or put the 900 on the other side.  

The JPI900 can easily be updated once you get the 310 STC.  I did that not long after having my 900 installed.  It required a trip back to JPI who wanted some paperwork from the STC but it was super simple.

When they are in there - remove the second transponder?  Why are there two?

Edited by hypertech
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

I have a 2002 Ovation 2. I’d like to add a JPI EDM 900 and remove the Moritz gauges. My panel is pretty packed. As it sits now the 900 wont fit.

My idea was to move the 6 pack up with the removal of the Moritz and put the #2 NAV and STBY AI under the HSI and TC. That would leave space left of the elevator trim and flap indicators for the 900 preferably horizontal mounted.  If not then vertical. Maybe I could fit a 930? Has anyone done this?

I would like to do the 310hp STC and believe the JPI 900 will suffice as the sole engine tachometer? 

Anyone recommend a shop that can do this work? My budget is $10,000. Is that as realistic number of $ bills?

If the Moritz is functioning right now I'd leave it alone until you've really thought this through and decide what all you want to do. This will allow you to plan it out so you only have to cut one panel. If the Moritz is dying now and you have to do the JPI-900, I'd put the JPI-900 on the right side below the transponders temporarily until you decide what all you what to do with the left side. Just make sure they leave enough slack in the wiring to move it to the left side when the time comes. That will be a minor panel cut.

Long term, if you're going to stick with round gauges I'd put the electric attitude indicator with a turn/bank ball where your turn coordinator is now. You might be able to put the Garmin GI-275 engine monitor where your back up attitude indicator is now, instead of doing the JPI-900.

If you're going to put in a glass panel long term, really think it through so you can do it once and not have to touch it again for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

Check out the EI Cgr-30p and the gi-275 eis instead of the jpi.  Nothing wrong with the jpi, but the other two do the same thing for similar cost and fit in your existing panel (move the elec adi to the turn/bank posit).  Don’t cut a new panel just for the jpi.  You can just put a blank panel cover over the moritz holes until you’re ready for a full new panel.

• Thanks 1

I have no idea why there are 2 transponders. I imagine for super-quantum redundancy. I was wondering that when I bought the plane. I’d like to remove it. I will take all the useful load increase I can get with having TKS and A/C.

I know using gyro instruments has it’s associated maintenance costs as does maintaining 2 vac systems but I like them. Unless its very cost prohibitive maintaining everything in the long run vs. going with EFIS my plan is to keep and maintain them. I’m open to criticism. Maybe I’m wrong.

GI-275 and CGR-30. Will look into these.

If I went the JPI route is there a recommended avionics installer to contact?

7 minutes ago, V1VRV2 said:

I have no idea why there are 2 transponders. I imagine for super-quantum redundancy. I was wondering that when I bought the plane. I’d like to remove it. I will take all the useful load increase I can get with having TKS and A/C.

I know using gyro instruments has it’s associated maintenance costs as does maintaining 2 vac systems but I like them. Unless its very cost prohibitive maintaining everything in the long run vs. going with EFIS my plan is to keep and maintain them. I’m open to criticism. Maybe I’m wrong.

Just to expound... you can get rid of your turn/bank indicator if replaced by a backup adi, but you will need a slip indicator which I don’t see.  I think that’s easy to solve.

The cgr and gi275 options are primary engine instruments that fit in standard instrument holes. Less panel cutting is good for the checkbook.  They might cost slightly more than a jpi900 but install would be the same or cheaper due to not modifying the panel.

8 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

When your gyros or vacuum pump start going then you can re-visit this subject. Well maintained round instruments with back up have worked well for years and will keep you flying until you really know the airplane and decide what you want to do long term. EFIS isn't perfect either - they have failures. To take an airplane you just bought and tie it up in the avionics shop for potentially many weeks or months would rob you of getting comfortable with landings, etc. Many with the Moritz gauges have saved up and re-done the entire panel in one comprehensive upgrade when the Moritz finally died.

I owned an Ovation where the previous owner had done that back in 2013.

15229968_N312Dpanel.thumb.jpg.f45afbea7077e7a7eabb293f07b9b0ae.jpg

• Thanks 1

ovation with JPI installed, about 10 k for mod, as moritz unit was unrepairable, then the vacuum system was removed and king HSI replaced with Garmin 275's installed, now cies fuel senders install as old senders were failing and now GFC 500 installed as king unit was unreliability. it all started because Moritz display was un repairable which today we still love the display and the way it looks. JPI has been wonderful and was easy to upgrade to 310 HP conversion

IMG_0439.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice and the panel pics. I’m not going to proceed with this plan until Sept. I’m planning on enjoying the plane until then as/is. JPI 700 need to be serviced due to the photovoltaic cell not working. Don’t know if I want to pay to support the JPI 700. Also want the 310hp STC. This is just a recon flight to gather info..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

Thanks for the advice and the panel pics. I’m not going to proceed with this plan until Sept. I’m planning on enjoying the plane until then as/is. JPI 700 need to be serviced due to the photovoltaic cell not working. Don’t know if I want to pay to support the JPI 700. Also want the 310hp STC. This is just a recon flight to gather info..

JPI will service the display for around $300 or so, well worth it.

I agree with the above. No reason to redo a panel and end up with round holes in it. If you want to up the HP to 310 just move the timer/clock to the right side and replace it with a EI tach set for 2700.  If anything fails on the Moritz rip out the right side unit (keeping the left side vac gauge) and replace it with a 900 mounted vertically, move the backup AI to the TC position (with a slip indicator), and move the cdi down. It will be a hack job but sooner or later you’ll be putting in a large flat panel...

• Like 1

1) I never understood why would would want to have 2 TXPs - certainly no issue in flight,  maybe not to be grounded for next flight in the very unlikely case where 1 fails ??

2) if you are looking for a spot for an engine monitor, why not remove the TC and put the electric AI you already have in there ? (you will have to add a ball unless you replace both with one G5 or one RC 2610-3) - either is lighter and better as a  backup than what you have right now

Certain modes of flight are available if you have two transponders...

Not sure how often you would see this while flying a Mooney... (separation requirements)

Of course, there a days you want to be flying but your transponder just quit...

I have lost one transponder on a 900 nm flight...

A second one would have been nice... got a replacement the next day from Alan Fox...

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Certain modes of flight are available if you have two transponders...

Not sure how often you would see this while flying a Mooney... (separation requirements)

Of course, there a days you want to be flying but your transponder just quit...

I have lost one transponder on a 900 nm flight...

A second one would have been nice... got a replacement the next day from Alan Fox...

Best regards,

-a-

So we can finally fly our Mooney’s in RVSM airspace?? :)

• Haha 1