SwitchBox Control Panel

Since we all know that cooler temperatures are headed our way, I wanted to share one convenient way to start pre-heating your aircraft engine before you leave to the airport.  I have purchased and mounted a “SwitchBox Control” panel in my hangar.  I have an electric heater pre-positioned in my hangar and the heat vent is routed to my engine. When I’m getting ready to fly, I can use an APP on my smartphone (called SwitchBox) that allows me to turn on the wall outlet via remote cell signal.  This allows me to start preheating my engine before I leave for the airport.  This SwitchBox Control Panel is certainly something that has worked well for me and if you use an electric pre-heater it might be something that benefits you as well especially with colder temperatures coming soon.  
for more information: switchboxcontrol.com

Edited by CaptGMoore
Clarity

GMoore are you familiar with any of the shortcomings of that particular device?

Or are you selling these things?

Do you have any interest in the sales of these devices?

I have one already... and was less than enthused...

Call it generously, a vote of no confidence...

Great idea, but comes short on execution.  The early version, using the same name, didn’t have the overload protection, required to not cause a hangar fire...

Too easy to make a simple mistake, that can generate a terrible result...

Search around here under that product’s name...

Sorry to rain on somebody’s parade... I’m sure everyone involved meant well...

Best regards,

-a-

On 10/16/2020 at 2:20 PM, CaptGMoore said:

Since we all know that cooler temperatures are headed our way, I wanted to share one convenient way to start pre-heating your aircraft engine before you leave to the airport.  I have purchased and mounted a “SwitchBox Control” panel in my hangar.  I have an electric heater pre-positioned in my hangar and the heat vent is routed to my engine. When I’m getting ready to fly, I can use an APP on my smartphone (called SwitchBox) that allows me to turn on the wall outlet via remote cell signal.  This allows me to start preheating my engine before I leave for the airport.  This SwitchBox Control Panel is certainly something that has worked well for me and if you use an electric pre-heater it might be something that benefits you as well especially with colder temperatures coming soon.  
for more information: switchboxcontrol.com

Due diligence appears to have not been apart of this prepurchase.  Mine went out with the garbage man.  The Switchbox is about on par with a car with one flat tire. There is also a newer and better option that was just released. 

if you can return it, I highly recommend you do so now. 

I mounted the external antenna and it works flawlessly for me (I only get 2 bars see pic).  I had to update to the new app once, no other issues.  When I went to recharge the sim card the guy at the T-mobile said I was on a good plan which is no longer offered--It came with the Switchbox.  I pay no monthly and no annual fees and its free to turn the thing on.  To turn on a second outlet it will charge or to sync it will charge 20-40cents. 

123.jpg

1234.jpg

My Switchbox worked well for engine heat in WV. I loved not having to drive to the airport the night before to plug it in, and especially not having to drive back in falling snow to unplug it when the forecast was wrong.

I think it lasted one winter after moving back South, as it was a 2G device and that service has been dropped . . . .

• 3 months later...

Switchbox control folks treated me exactly like I treat my customers. 

I was having issues with the SIM card, so switchbox folks suggested I return it via UPS for them to check it out. Of course, UPS managed to deliver it, but to the wrong address. Switchbox replaced it at cost and now I’m back up and running.

having the ability to heat an engine in advance saves a lot of those 15 minute warm ups. Starting a cold engine below 40f is taboo.

thanks switchbox, appreciate the help.

they have a plan that’s $25 every 3 months that allows you 500 texts per month. My hangar mates are all planning on getting heaters installed.