Step stool for M20F

1 minute ago, Marty71112 said:

My son just started flying patients to chemo to build hours. Anyone have any suggestions on step stools or other assistive devices to help people get on and off wing?

Thanks 

marty

Does he not have the retract step?  I have had no issue with older folks including one with fairly heavy Parkinson’s using handle/step to get in.  

I would be worried putting a stool by the flap.  Very easy to bend a little metal. 

Often,  going over the front of the wing is worth considering...  when stepping over the flap causes a challenge...

Probably called the sit, spin, and stand up maneuver...

There is a thread around here somewhere for various steps and stools people tend to use for various reasons...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I have the fixed step. It takes a leap of faith to jump from the wing onto that step. 

I never thought of that as a "jump." There is always the nice chrome baggage door handle to hold on to.

When boarding passengers, how do you pick up the stool? 

When deplaning passengers, how do you get the stool on the ground, since they have to get out first?

Edited by Hank

The first thing to try is to fully lower the flaps.  This should help prevent damage by not appearing as a place to step.  A sturdy step stool might help, but it would be very easy for someone to miss their step by confusing whether they should step on the stool or step on the plane’s step.  IMO, a better way would be to just assist the person by providing a steady hand to hold onto as they egress. 

1 hour ago, cbarry said:

IMO, a better way would be to just assist the person by providing a steady hand to hold onto as they egress. 

Usually not an easy task if, on arrival, the pilot is typically waiting in the aircraft for the front seat passenger to disembark.

I bought a folding 2 step aluminum ladder.  The top step is about the same height as the trailing edge of my flaps.  My wife loves it, I use it during preflight and to wipe bugs off the leading edge of the vertical stab, and my passengers like it.

2 hours ago, neilpilot said:

Usually not an easy task if, on arrival, the pilot is typically waiting in the aircraft for the front seat passenger to disembark.

For most of the flights I’ve flown, such as these, it seems much easier for the person to get in and out of the right rear seat, thus, the pilot has access to disembark ahead of the passenger to assist...otherwise I agree there’s not a lot room to squeeze around someone that on the wing walk ahead of you to assist...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

I bought a folding 2 step aluminum ladder.  The top step is about the same height as the trailing edge of my flaps.  My wife loves it, I use it during preflight and to wipe bugs off the leading edge of the vertical stab, and my passengers like it.

Those Cessna steps are common. Most Cessnas have them in the baggage compartment. 

-Robert