Proper Flight Plan

2 minutes ago, GaryP1007 said:

I have a question....if I want to fly from KCHD to KTUS to do an approach and go missed and then return to KCHD for an approach with a full stop under an IFR flight plan.......what is the proper way to file?

KCHD - KCHD?

Thanks.

That's how I'd do it, with KTUS in the route section of the flight plan. I also have my students put "training flight" in the remarks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GaryP1007 said:

I have a question....if I want to fly from KCHD to KTUS to do an approach and go missed and then return to KCHD for an approach with a full stop under an IFR flight plan.......what is the proper way to file?

KCHD - KCHD?

Thanks.

It might depend on your local ATC.  In our area....near NY....they will sometimes reject such a plan....or not clear you if they are busy and not taking “training” flights.  I find it frustrating!  The work around seems to be to file for your first stop and then start negotiations once airborne.  Worst case you make a full stop landing and file back home, best case you get a few approaches and head home IFR....or some combination.  I would suggest trying KCHD-KCHD and put your request in the comments....  if they give you a hard time, then try the work around above.

• Like 1

another way if they would reject a round robin flight plan is to file:

KCHD to KTUS and list KCHD as your alternate.

After you fly the approach at KTUS go missed and tell ATC you want to return to KCHD.

ATC can't force you to do anything at that point.  ATC can only comply with your request unless there is something in the airspace that prevents them from doing so.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

another way if they would reject a round robin flight plan is to file:

KCHD to KTUS and list KCHD as your alternate.

After you fly the approach at KTUS go missed and tell ATC you want to return to KCHD.

ATC can't force you to do anything at that point.  ATC can only comply with your request unless there is something in the airspace that prevents them from doing so.

Hadn't thought of it this way....but makes sense.  Thanks.

Around here we've just put the local VOR and keep requesting approaches to the nearby airports.  Seemed to work for us and the controllers never complain but as a noob IR student I thought it was weird.

edit..

In foreflight it might look like  Departure: KCHD Destination: KCHD Route: TFD

but maybe my instructor used the VOR due to lost comm procedures on all the approaches around here not sure now I want to go find out...

Edited by The Other Red Baron

If you were doing local approaches at airports all under the same PHX TRACON you wouldn't even need a flight plan. When staying in the TRACONs airspace they can create an abbreviated flight plan on the fly and track as many as 4 approach requests.  But since your first destination is outside of the TRACON's airspace you will need a full flight plan entered into the system so that it can be handed off to ABQ center and/or Tuscon Approach.  The flight  plan destination should just be to the first destination to avoid playing 21 questions. Specifying an alternate doesn't matter and isn't relevant once the flight has begun.

Once you're talking to Tucson Appr you can tell them you want to go missed and then they'll ask you for your subsequent approach requests when able. When done in their area, whether it be one or multiple approaches, they'll clear you back to CHD.

Filing to a VOR is just one easy quick way to get a flight plan into the system. But it'll take more radio communications to tell the controller where you want to go that you could have saved by your intended destination in the flight plan. Realistically filing a flight plan to a VOR isn't going to affect what you do in a lost comm scenario since you'll likely be VMC given its a training flight - in which case you'll land VMC soonest. If you're really IMC, then it becomes relevant only after what was Assigned, then being Vectored too, then Expected, and only lastly Filed (i.e. AVEF). 

Have fun!

• Like 2

I often do 6 approaches for currency at three airports: KTIW, KPWT and KPAE (home field). I normally file three flight plans with comment like "2 approaches, ILS, LOC  etc.." Seems that Seattle Approach likes that and always works for me well. I can negotiated in the air for some changes or landing to full stop (KPWT when restaurant was open) 

I like idea of filing one plan with departure point as your alternate but that wouldn't work for three airports. 

File a delay at the field you plan to do approaches. In Foreflight it would be KTUS/D0+30. You can put a delay at any way point,  using waypoint/Dh+mm ATC should understand if your delay point is an airfield.

In the remarks section of the flight plan write you would like multiple approaches at KTUS.

• Thanks 1