Gtn750xi+650xi or g500txi+gtn750xi

garuda

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

Garuda,

See if you can add some detail to your avatar...

If you are on the west coast,I would invite a west coast avionics guy to the conversation...

If you are in Florida, I might invite somebody else...

See if Mr. Baker is up on the Garmin details... @Baker Avionics...

Best regards,

-a-

I am in Africa!
I am considering buying a 1980 J. It has old radios which need to be replaced with 8.33khz capable transmitters. I also want a GPS. This is what sparked the whole panel upgrade thinking. A perfect candidate for the first radio would be the GTN750XI . Then from one thing to another, why not upgrade all the other instruments? So I started investigating the possibility of adding the g3x. However, from this forum I found out that it is not optimal with the existing auto pilot. This is why I asked if the g3x+GI275 would be the right solution but I did not get a clear cut answer from the various discussions here. From what I understand, I can use a GI275 on its own to drive the autopilot but not in combination with the G3x. Is this correct?
In the end, I might keep the existing instruments and just change the radios with 750xi and a GNC255A nav/com and fly the plane for some time before making other changes as suggested by @LANCECASPER

• Like 1

The skills of each Garmin device are getting to be more known as the months go by...

The 25year old BK APs are starting to get removed and replaced by the latest GFC500...  GFC approvals are working their way down the ladder... 

There are a few pireps around here of what gets unlocked when the GI275s get paired with the GFC...

There are also pireps on the various PFDs... G500, G500txi, G3X, Aspen and Dynon.... etc...

Depending on your financial administrator...  it helps to get the plane up and running before blowing the budget on avionics...

Getting the first year under your belt is generally the time frame to shake out all of the unknowns with pre-flown machinery...

If  you have lots of GA airplane experience already... and have your avionics shop experience... go all in with one installation effort...

We have a few MSers around the world including SA...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 10/31/2020 at 11:17 AM, carusoam said:

Garuda,

See if you can add some detail to your avatar...

If you are on the west coast,I would invite a west coast avionics guy to the conversation...

If you are in Florida, I might invite somebody else...

See if Mr. Baker is up on the Garmin details... @Baker Avionics...

Best regards,

-a-

@garuda Glad to hear you are an avid reader and come and visit us here often!  The GI275 and G3X will work great and as far as affordability and functionality, great combination for sure!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baker Avionics said:

@garuda Glad to hear you are an avid reader and come and visit us here often!  The GI275 and G3X will work great and as far as affordability and functionality, great combination for sure!!!!

Thank you for your answer. I read somewhere that the GI275 cannot be interfaced to the KFC150 if it is a backup of the G3x. Is this correct?
Also, since the GI275 will be providing attitude info to the autopilot, it will also get the FD vbar. Will the GI275 synchronize its display with the G3x so that it will also display the FD?

21 hours ago, garuda said:

Thank you for your answer. I read somewhere that the GI275 cannot be interfaced to the KFC150 if it is a backup of the G3x. Is this correct?
Also, since the GI275 will be providing attitude info to the autopilot, it will also get the FD vbar. Will the GI275 synchronize its display with the G3x so that it will also display the FD?

This is probably an issue to avoid confusion as to which display (and AHARS) is flying the autopilot.  In a perfect world the G3x would be synchronized with the 275 and it wouldn't matter.  

How about labelling the GI275 as primary flight instrument and using the G3X as a backup?

Aerodon