G500 Calibrate AHRS/MAG error message

kmyfm20s

Started up the plane to fly to work and got this message on the G500. Decided to put the plane back in the hangar and drive to work since I couldn’t find this error message in the manual and didn’t know if it was a safety of flight issue. The shop hadn’t seen this error either and a call to Garmin turn up that there was a magnetic north update in navigation software and if you haven’t had a compass swing to calibrate the magnometer in several years your will need to do one. After I contacted the shop I guess they got 3 other call the day after me. So if you see this message that’s what’s necessary. They didn’t feel it’s a safety of flight issue but recommended not flying in IMC until calibrated. Hope this helps someone else.

26FF46AD-B6C9-4085-B918-499901A18179.thumb.jpeg.ec6983b95cc48191821432d63c612c93.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

So let’s see :
Garmin knows my position.
The magnetic variance should be known based on my position.
Garmin should be able to recalibrate it on their own, all they need is you to do a 360.
If they require a shop visit I’d have some questions for their engineers.

I agree! I think they at minimum could have given a prior warning that this would be an upcoming issue. I went out to do a VFR flight but the screen kept X’ing out on taxi so the plane is grounded until they have time to swing it. I also think they should allow some base level access to do a simple compass swing on your own. 

I agree! I think they at minimum could have given a prior warning that this would be an upcoming issue. I went out to do a VFR flight but the screen kept X’ing out on taxi so the plane is grounded until they have time to swing it. I also think they should allow some base level access to do a simple compass swing on your own. 

If you’re on Beechtalk I would start a thread there, Garmin service follows their forums.

7 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

So let’s see :
Garmin knows my position.
The magnetic variance should be known based on my position.
Garmin should be able to recalibrate it on their own, all they need is you to do a 360.
If they require a shop visit I’d have some questions for their engineers.

What isn't known is the actual heading of the airplane, which is the purpose of the swing.

9 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Doesn’t the AHRS tell you that?

The AHRS doesn't know direction until it gets aligned by the magnetometer, and the magnetometer has to be swung (calibrated) for errors just like a compass.   Apparently a software update required that to be redone.

Well interesting turn of events today. While this is indeed a problem that is occurring with the G500’s it turns out it wasn’t the problem I was having. I was talking to one of the guys at the avionics shop and he happened to ask if I was in the tail cone for anything recently. I told him that I was actually because my electric trim was stuck and I needed to clean the micro switches to fix it. He then explained to me that the Garmin wiring harnesses are notorious for having pins loose contact and if you simply remove the harness and reconnect it that it will take care of the problem. Sure enough problem solved! 
Here is the picture I posted of the electric trim and you can see the bundles of wires that lead to the harness. Maintenance induced failures by yours truly. 

4E6AC256-1613-4F5D-B41A-4D822193945E.thumb.jpeg.465fdb7f659686f313de2fac49597827.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

Well interesting turn of events today. While this is indeed a problem that is occurring with the G500’s it turns out it wasn’t the problem I was having. I was talking to one of the guys at the avionics shop and he happened to ask if I was in the tail cone for anything recently. I told him that I was actually because my electric trim was stuck and I needed to clean the micro switches to fix it. He then explained to me that the Garmin wiring harnesses are notorious for having pins loose contact and if you simply remove the harness and reconnect it that it will take care of the problem. Sure enough problem solved! 
Here is the picture I posted of the electric trim and you can see the bundles of wires that lead to the harness. Maintenance induced failures by yours truly. 

I wouldn't classify that as a maintenance induced failure if you didn't purposefully disconnect/reconnect or move the connector.   Personally I'd call that a poor quality connector.

• Like 2