Aft stub spar replacement beginning

Just want to tell the forum I'm beginning to replace my aft stub spar on a 64 m20e. I was able to find a new one on the forum.

I removed the main landing gear and started drilling rivets out. I will drill until it gets too cold in the hangar. Then I will go through the gear in my heated garage. 

Plane is at klot if anyone wanted to take a look or help.

Wish me luck.

Glenn

• Like 4

Got a few layers peeled away today. 

The aft stub spar painted white is the gear well side, doesn't look to bad. The other side of the same part shows the real damage. Black marker shows all the popped rivet heads.

I dont know when splash guards were installed on the landing gear  on mooneys, this one did not have them. Maybe the splash guears could have helped?

Glenn

20201015_155531.jpg

20201015_155521.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Stub spar is out,  took about 3 weeks.

Next job is clean the airframe, prime before the wx gets cold in a few days.goal is to fly it next summer.

Will spend the rest of winter installing the stub spar.

Glenn

20201107_183653.jpg

20201107_183747.jpg

20201107_183800.jpg

20201107_183810.jpg

• Like 15

Just now, carusoam said:

Hr,

Now that is a pic!

I don’t recall seeing a whole subspar freed up like that...

What do you have as a replacement part?

Were there any used ones in good condition?

Thanks for sharing the details...

Best regards,

-a-

Before mooney closed they said they had everything in stock to assemble it. When I got ready to purchase it, mooney closed. I panicked. 

I recall seeing a very old post of a guy on mooney space having a new one for sale. I reached out and he responded very quickly. Still had the part, but no mooney. Made a quick deal, flew out to seattle and drove it back to chicago.

Started the removal process probably more than 3 weeks ago. 

Between work and other responsibilities I managed to get it out.

Now cleaning the filthy plane and priming before the wx turn in a few days.

Glenn 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great photos and explanation of what and how you are doing this.  Just an aside, I have an unheated hangar with drafty doors and no insulation.  I found it economical to use a "Salamander" kerosene heater. It is an old one without a thermostat, so I found a separate thermostat to plug into it.  Only run it for the 3 or 4 hours every few days I am at the hanger.  I buy Jet-A from the airport "for cleaning parts".  When it is the right line guy, he just gives me "sump" fuel for free.  I have a Blue 5 gal tank at the hanger.   Taking the chill off makes such a difference when working on stubborn bolts and smashed knuckles.

Again, thanks for sharing an unusual but critical repair.

-mark

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update.....

As I was laying on my back installing clecos and match drilling the new aft stub spar, I was thinking to myself " I see the light at the end of the tunnel". It was at the same moment I found some hidden top spar cap corrosion  I over looked.

It's bad, needs replacement. I visited with the awesome crew at Don Maxwell. Part is available. I have ordered it and started drilling.

Dream of having the plane finished next summer has been kicked down the road a bit.

Glenn

20201207_165436.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, pirate said:

Ouch I feel your pain......

If you ever need help bucking rivets when the time comes (I'm fairly good at it) let me know. I’m based DKB. 

Yes, yes, yes!!!!

My drilling assistant is moving back to europe in the next couple of weeks.

My wife and I took a weekend sheetmetal class last winter at the EAA museum. My wife is a great sport, but if we are to remain married, I prefer she not help me buck rivets.

I'm an a&p for an airline, actual an avionics crew chief.  Bucked a few rivets in school, spent a few weekends helping g a friend build an rv7. Any help by someone with more experience  than me would be great. 

I'm at KLOT Lewis univ airport

Thanks

Glenn

• Like 2

• 1 year later...