GILL LT 7035-28 SEALED BATTERY

MB65E

I just replaced my first Gill sealed after 5 years (in TX) with another Gill. My Concorde lasted 4 , and the previous that was installed when I bought plane was in it for 3 . With the jump in cost of Concordes, my supplier said they had good results with the Gills, so I tried it. No complaints

• 5 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 2:29 PM, 1964-M20E said:

Well I'm getting ready to get a new battery for mine.  I've had the Gill 7035-28 in my plane for 4 years now.  Yesterday's start the prop seemed slow.

Have you had it on a float charger or just sitting?  How often do you fly?

I've found that float chargers extend battery life significantly.

Concorde also makes Lifeline batteries, they are not aviation batteries, they are AGM deep cycle batteries, and for all intents and purposes pretty much identical to the Aircraft Concorde.

‘They have by far the absolute best, most comprehensive battery manual in existence, believe it or not but their AGM batteries do best when the battery is allowed to accept all the charge amps you can feed it. As long as the voltage is correct, you cannot push too many amps into one, the battery will only accept what it can handle, as it’s SOC or state of charge increase, acceptance rate will decrease.

‘So if you have a big ole powerful charger, as long as it’s voltage is correct, you can’t push too many amps into a Concorde battery. However if it’s voltage is too high, of course you can.

‘Anyway, sit down and do some reading, as I said this is by way far away the best, most comprehensive battery manual there is, especially for AGM’s

http://lifelinebatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/6-0101-Rev-E-Lifeline-Technical-Manual.pdf

One of the required checks during annual is to determine the reserve capacity of a battery, although it’s seldom done, but if you fly IFR much, you may want to ensure it’s done, cause once that alternator or voltage regulator quits, it’s the reserve capacity of the battery that’s going to get you down safely.

I wish battery desulphators worked, but they don’t. About the only way to partially recover from sulphation is an equalization charge, how to do it is in this manual.

Lifeline I believe calls it a conditioning charge, but most people refer to it as a equalization charge.

‘The Godber family owns and runs Concorde battery, they are a US company, in the US that employees US citizens and manufactures in the US.

To some that may be important.

‘I had my bad Gill experience. almost cost me a bundle, I won’t make that mistake again, but to be honest it was a Gill wet cell, not an AGM

Edited by A64Pilot

Looks like  Gill finally added the Mooney M20C to the PMA/STC list. I remember many many years ago when I noticed the G-35 battery didn't have the M20C on the STC/PMA list they had the M20B , M20D, M20E, M20F, M20G but no M20C.  I called them up ask why, I don't remember their exact answer but they seem pretty determined not to change their STC/PMA paper work on their end.  I always thought that was weird to leave of the M20C one the most produced Mooney models off the list.  Good for them they Added the M20C model on the PMA/STC list for the 7035-28 model . Though could have done better in their model number scheme.

5 hours ago, cctsurf said:

Have you had it on a float charger or just sitting?  How often do you fly?

I've found that float chargers extend battery life significantly.

no float charger but I do fly often usually once a week.  This instance I had just flown to Houston several days earlier.

float chargers if they are at the correct voltage for an AGM do help, but unlike automobiles which may have significant dark current, we have a master relay that disconnects everything except the keep alive power for a clock, and apparently in some models the interior light, so our batteries shouldn’t run down much.

‘I believe the self discharge rate for an AGM is about 3% per month, but if you don’t fly often, a good battery tender is a good thing to have.