GILL LT 7035-28 SEALED BATTERY

MB65E

Anyone use these newer sealed batteries from Gill?  I know the Gill/Concorde debate will go on forever. However, looks like Gill has picked up the pace. 
Their old school unsealed batteries were crap. My 8 year old Concorde should be a solid testament to Concorde, but their $360 price tag is $90 more than this Gill. 

-Matt

Gill has been owned by CMI for a while...

Their batteries have been getting a make over...

I think somebody around here bought one of the new versions...

I bought way to many of the old version...

Buy it, save your 90 bucks and provide feed back...

If the CMI ownership has done something positive... you will know at the end of two years, when you buy the Concorde... :)

Other MSers pay the Concorde price, and pretty much expect to get 6+ years out of them... the Prof. just gave a review on a pair of Concordes that just came out of his Rocket... 

Six years is 3X the two year lifespan of many of the old Gill batteries... that’s a bit more than the 90 bucks being saved today...

Go for it!

Somebody has to go first...  :)

@tls pilot gave a good review, but not much detail with it... one other pilot said he had one, and was planning its replacement...

Just not many people saying they have the new sealed battery and it’s great...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=GILL LT 7035&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

@MB65EI may or may not be the one @carusoam is referring to.  I bought the new sealed Gill to replace an old Concorde from the Gill booth at Osh.  They had a great show deal, and I wanted to believe they could compete, so I gave them a go.  The battery did not last nearly as long as the Concorde before it in similar conditions of climate (KFUL in SoCal) and usage (100+ hours/year) with the same plane (M20J).  I think it was only 2 years before my starter was noticeably turning slower between weekend flights.  I went back to Concorde without hesitation.  

That is one data point for the MS books.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MB65E said:

Anyone use these newer sealed batteries from Gill?  I know the Gill/Concorde debate will go on forever. However, looks like Gill has picked up the pace. 
Their old school unsealed batteries were crap. My 8 year old Concorde should be a solid testament to Concorde, but their $360 price tag is $90 more than this Gill. 

-Matt

Concorde runs circles around Gill for strength and longer life

Was that pic taken while in flight?
It would make sense that it is in an inverted Stearman...   :)

Check out all the fancy electronic gizmos in plain sight...

Lots of boots covering the high voltage side of things...

Except for...  is that the shunt? It kind of deserves some form of protection all around it... to avoid random acts of electrocution... of the errant tool holder... :)

Looks like... (Possibly)

• Master relay
  • Starter relay
  • Shunt
  • Voltage regulator

Stuff that is in all planes... In Mooneys, they are often mounted on both sides of the fire wall... really well hidden from daylight...

Is that a lifting point in the fore ground?  Hook up a chain hoist on both sides...

Great pic! Thanks for sharing...:)

Best regards,

-a-

E0654F8B-2E19-4FDC-A63F-9289CE8AD048.jpeg

On 10/13/2020 at 11:54 PM, MB65E said:

-Matt

Could be worse I just put in two Concorde Platinum batteries $629 each..

Now need to attempt installing a batteryminder with connections for two batteries,

any suggestions for the installation for two would be appreciated, I reviewed our site Geebees installation looks great..

40 minutes ago, tls pilot said:

I can report that these 7243-14 sealed Gill Batteries have performed well

As mentioned on an earlier post 5+ years without any issues. The capacity and voltage remains superb.

My posts started on the Bravo forum in June 2015. I have reported yearly the batteries continue to perform extremely well. I may( or so it seems) be the lone voice on recommending these new sealed Gill batteries. My plane starts correctly on either battery nearly 5 1/2 years after install. 

I trust these Gill Sealed batteries. 
We have a choice ( which is a good thing: Gill or Concorde) 

I can only share my experience, I would not hesitate buying the Gill.

Not certain for sure-but a rebate that was/ is available will also reduce the cost even more than the Concorde.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 7:04 PM, Raptor05121 said:

Maybe the old wet units everyone remembers. According to Gill, their new batteries have more cold cranking amps, and a longer warranty than Concorde...

Well - could be - but (now mind you my airplane takes two big 35'ers) my airplane has concord and I have started it up without a problem in as low as -10F.  (Well yes I do preheat - but that preheats the engine - not the batteries in the tail).  So them's some cold batteries.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Maybe the old wet units everyone remembers. According to Gill, their new batteries have more cold cranking amps, and a longer warranty than Concorde...

That could well be. Shows you the damage caused when you have one product with your name on it that is bad. They lost a lot of brand equity with that. It wasn't always the case. I remember buying Gill's and they were good back in the day.

-Robert

On 10/13/2020 at 8:54 PM, MB65E said:

-Matt

wonder when these new gills came out... i went to start my plane today with a Gill the previous owner replaced 7/2019.  it didn't even attempt to start it.  hand propped it to get it running.  on the battery tender now.  didn't fly it, just was running it on the ground looking for an oil leak. 

I put one of the first 7035-28's in my previous plane and it lasted over seven years. It would have gone longer, but I moved that plane to Florida after 5 years. Florida heat kills batteries. All batteries- plane, car, Duracells. Up north they last much longer.

I've been putting the new 7243-16's in Cirrus aircraft. They have  more amps than the Concordes, and so far, the same durability. Even in fleet planes logging 500-600 hours per year, batteries rarely last longer than 3 years due to the high ambient temperatures.

Congrats on being able to hand prop a 200hp engine...

Would you get to sue the battery company if you sustained an injury..?

I’m either thinking way ahead... or just saying reconsider the hand propping of big engines...  :)

Too much risk, not enough reward...

Mags can fire and send the prop in either direction... and a whole bunch of other oddities...

PP thoughts only, just looking out for my brother MSEr...
Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Congrats on being able to hand prop a 200hp engine...

Would you get to sue the battery company if you sustained an injury..?

I’m either thinking way ahead... or just saying reconsider the hand propping of big engines...  :)

Too much risk, not enough reward...

Mags can fire and send the prop in either direction... and a whole bunch of other oddities...

PP thoughts only, just looking out for my brother MSEr...
Best regards,

-a-

sorry... ill rephrase.  my A&P IA hand propped it.  i was inside the cockpit following his instructions.  no A&Ps were harmed in the making of this maintenance event.  

• Like 1

bmc,

Did the battery recover?

The other detail regarding hand propping... if your battery was flat... the charge rate is really high for a long time...

Some batteries won’t survive that kind of charging...

Something to consider when out on the road...  It would be best to get some amount of charge into the battery and assess its health before flying with it...

Best regards,

-a- 

20 hours ago, carusoam said:

bmc,

Did the battery recover?

The other detail regarding hand propping... if your battery was flat... the charge rate is really high for a long time...

Some batteries won’t survive that kind of charging...

Something to consider when out on the road...  It would be best to get some amount of charge into the battery and assess its health before flying with it...

Best regards,

-a- 

The battery minder says it took a full charge after it desulfated it for a day.  JPI says it has 24.3V.  I’ve been lucky enough to fly her 4 days in a row, and she has stared enthusiastically every day.  

• Like 2