Mooneye

aviatoreb

Speaking of fly fishing, and Mooneys.

If there were ever an official fish of mooneyspace, it had better be this one.

The Mooneye is a local fish, and I was just talking today to the Dean of Arts and Science at my institution who is a biologist who has a study he says on the Mooneye at a local river called  the Oswegatchie River (named for a local tribe).

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/26032.html

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.02.07 PM.png

• Like 2

Moon eyes.  From the 1960s hotrod scene.    You can get them as vinyl stickers without the "MOON" type on them and stick them on your airplane as a subtle joke for the old folks.  ;)

image.png.552801370773eeee06ce7c568f38eb37.png

EDIT:   Well, I'll be danged...Moon Equipment Company is still around and still supplying stuff for the hot rod crowd, including Rat Fink trinkets and memorabilia.

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

Big question, how does the Mooneye taste?  Cooked over a wood plank? Fried? Smoked? 
Edit: I see it’s threatened.... never mind  

I saw a late model VW Beetle the other day in Dallas that had Moon Eyes on it.  I thought it was quite interesting and it actually looked good with brushed wheel covers in the two tone paint it was wearing. 

Edited by Nick Pilotte
Can’t advocate eating a threatened species.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Moon eyes.  From the 1960s hotrod scene.    You can get them as vinyl stickers without the "MOON" type on them and stick them on your airplane as a subtle joke for the old folks.  ;)

image.png.552801370773eeee06ce7c568f38eb37.png

EDIT:   Well, I'll be danged...Moon Equipment Company is still around and still supplying stuff for the hot rod crowd, including Rat Fink trinkets and memorabilia.

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/

Ah, I remember Rat Fink! I was a little boy then . . . . And have certainly grown up, although "matured" is debatable! :P

• Like 1

These things about ruined the small mouth bass fishery of the Tippecanoe river in Northern Indiana back in the 70's. The have a voracious appetite for crawfish, minnows, helgramites and every other source of food. They wont be missed and a poor choice for an official fish for our beloved brand. The locals rightly called them shad. The flathead catfish would eat their guts

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

These things about ruined the small mouth bass fishery of the Tippecanoe river in Northern Indiana back in the 70's. The have a voracious appetite for crawfish, minnows, helgramites and every other source of food. They wont be missed and a poor choice for an official fish for our beloved brand. The locals rightly called them shad. The flathead catfish would eat their guts

Are you speaking badly of a fish called Mooneye?!  Shame on you Mike.  Its a Mooneye.  

27 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Are you speaking badly of a fish called Mooneye?!  Shame on you Mike.  Its a Mooneye.  

This was a plot by the American Bonanza Society to try to prove they have the better answer. By calling the Hiodontidae a Mooneye, it makes people think the Mooney airplane is a complete failure, eats gas and is worthless.

• Haha 1

Just now, mike_elliott said:

This was a plot by the American Bonanza Society to try to prove they have the better answer. By calling the Hiodontidae a Mooneye, it makes people think the Mooney airplane is a complete failure, eats gas and is worthless.

Show me a Bonanzae fish - you can't. There aren't any.  I guess they went extinct and got out competed by the Mooneye fish?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Show me a Bonanzae fish - you can't. There aren't any.  I guess they went extinct and got out competed by the Mooneye fish?

He can’t.  Their tail fins spontaneously reacted with the oxygen in the water and the fish were rendered unable to do what they were made to do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

I grew up in northern Indiana, just 10 miles west from the Tippecanoe River (Boiler Country).  I now remember my grandpa talking about them because he loved to fish for panfish and bass on the river. 

• Like 1