Ran into a Mooniac.. and realized the value of MooneySpace

Pasturepilot

Hey friends, 

I just flew a four-day trip shuttling folks between Newark and the Dominican Republic. On the last day, they let us fly over dry ground... to some very dry ground. Phoenix, if we're going to be specific. 

I was supposed to be deadheading back to NYC but it was the end of the trip, so I chose my own adventure and stuck out my thumb for a direct ride home on a Delta jump seat. Another pilot showed up, also looking to hitchhike and we were chatting at the gate when I made mention of traveling in the Mooney. 

The guys eyes lit up. 

"What model?" 

An old '65 C model, I said, and started rattling off the basics but I didn't have to. This fella has an E model. 

We chatted at the gate for a while - and for most of the flight back, as we compared ownership notes. He said he signed up for mooneyspace but had never bothered much with it. I think he'll probably make an appearance soon after it became apparent how much good information is here. Without this support network, he and his mechanic were apparently unaware of the CiES fuel senders - they'd hooked up a JPI EDM-900 to the old senders and were getting the same bad fuel management data as before. Other topics that came up were instrument shops that can overhaul stuff for a lot cheaper than running out to replace a busted gyro, how to repair interior plastic pieces, PC system repairs, and Sensorcon CO detectors. 

Then I realized before I dug into the stacks here, I didn't know squat about these things, and I've been kneed deep in aviation since before I could drive.  I'm grateful for y'all, and for the resource we have here. 

We now resume the normal banter. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I am grateful for this sentiment that you have expressed.  It is truly in line with the way I feel about Mooneyspace.  I lurk quite alot and contribute quite little.  I am so thankful for the knowledge of Mooneys and other aviation related topics that is available to me through Mooneyspace.  There are some amazing individuals on this forum.  I wish I could personally get to know each and every one of you.  Mooneyspace has shaped and changed to way I fly my airplane and the way I take care of my airplane.

I would also like to thank the many members of this forum for helping learn to be the best pilot and airplane owner that I can be.  I too knew very little about my airplane when I bought it 14 years ago or so.  I think I make sound decisions when it comes to my airplane thanks majority in part of the members of this forum.

• Like 2

Go MS!

I came for information about Missiles... And learned about IO550s...

Gave back some info about fuel tanks... And met a great CFII...

My great CFII helped me get flying again... and met I few more MSers...

Want to meet a bunch of people you have never seen before?  (Probably not... unless you sell Amway products... :))

Imagine for a moment...

If you go to any social event like a fly-in...

there will be a Mooney there...

That pilot will be an MSer...

It is near impossible to be even slightly gregarious, fly a Mooney, and not be an MSer... :)

it’s fun to go places, meet up with a bunch of Mooney pilots, and try to learn real names to match with faces and N numbers...

It would really help to have a good memory! (I bring Siri along for that...)

So... you go to a Mooney fly in... you have never seen any of these people before... yet you know them all... and they know you too... it’s like old times, getting re-established... only it’s new times, getting more established... :)

old, new, young, or experienced... first time, been around for decades... looking to get started, trying to move up... there is a great Mooney conversation that has probably been started already...

Pick up the conversation, and run fly with it!

Go MS!

-a-

• Like 2

Being an old professional nerd, various social fora on the internet, or even back on bitnet or arpanet, have always been awesome examples of social support for whatever topic they focused on.   Even thirty+ years ago there were hundreds and hundreds of usenet newsgroups and email list services that supported all kinds of common or weird or unusual topics.   It used to be fun to go through the usenet newsgroup lists and see what was active and how many people are really interested in stuff like alt.religion.kibology or get the latest from rec.pets.cats.   Time sinkage was an unfortunately common side effect.   Car forums and sites can be invaluable for specialized stuff or easy fixes for obscure that people have fixed before.

I'll +1 that I'm glad that mooneyspace serves this role well here and it has helped me a ton.   Kudos to everybody who participates.   Thank you all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FastTex said:

True! What about fuel bladders vs. sealed tanks or the endless debate about ROP vs. LOP? 

I actually learned a lot about both!

:)

Actually, bladders are the only rational solution.  Just sayin'

:lol:

12 hours ago, Tim Jodice said:

This place is awesome! There are no Mooney questions that can't be answered here.

Some answers are actually correct.

:P

• Like 2