Exhaust muffler cracked - any recommendations

My new CO detector started going pretty bezerk recently so thought I'd have the muffler checked. It is cracked and has several holes, so not salvageable.... I guess the new CO detector was worth purchasing!

I have the ball stud type muffler on my 1967 M20F... any recommendations on replacement? Should I go Powerflow? The exhaust itself is OK, overhauled by Dawley a couple years ago. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 11:56 AM, podair said:

My new CO detector started going pretty bezerk recently so thought I'd have the muffler checked. It is cracked and has several holes, so not salvageable.... I guess the new CO detector was worth purchasing!

I have the ball stud type muffler on my 1967 M20F... any recommendations on replacement? Should I go Powerflow? The exhaust itself is OK, overhauled by Dawley a couple years ago. 

I love hearing this..  Well not the part about you needing to buy a new muffler. :)

Which CO detector do you have?

Cheers,
Dan

13 hours ago, DanM20C said:

I love hearing this..  Well not the part about you needing to buy a new muffler. :)

Which CO detector do you have?

Cheers,
Dan

I bought a slightly better model than the domestic ones but still think I should have bought one a bit better still, one with a display. Mine is a small Artic model available in the UK around $70, that beeps from 30ppm, no display. It fulfilled its purpose nonetheless!

muffler hole.JPG

muffler crack.JPG

• Like 2

Ask around about local machine/tuner/fabricator shops that do metal work and welding.   Some are good at repairing or rebuilding these things.   A local machine shop that makes equipment for semiconductor fabrication also does engine work and is really good at this sort of thing.   They've wound up doing a lot of aircraft exhaust repair (the owner has multiple airplanes).   So sometimes the trick is just finding the right local resource. 

I'm not sure in your case for the EASA stuff, but this is legal for FAA certified aircraft if an A&P "supervises" the work, which can be a post repair inspection of the part.

For private use in EASA planes the owner has quite a lot of leeway, if they accept the responsibility. Things have changed a lot in favor of the private GA owner-pilot in EASA-land. I'll show myself out, but first I'll quote:

21.A.307 Release of parts and appliances for installation
A part or appliance shall be eligible for installation in a type-certificated product when it is in a condition for safe operation, and it is:
(a) accompanied by an authorised release certificate (EASA Form 1), certifying that the item was manufactured in conformity to approved design data and is marked in accordance with Subpart Q; or
(b) a standard part; or
(c) in the case of ELA1 or ELA2 aircraft, a part or appliance that is:
1. not life-limited, nor part of the primary structure, nor part of the flight controls;
2. manufactured in conformity to applicable design;
3. marked in accordance with Subpart Q;
4. identified for installation in the specific aircraft;
5. to be installed in an aircraft for which the owner has verified compliance with the conditions 1 through 4 and has accepted responsibility for this compliance

There was a very good thread on EuroGA on this very subject not that long ago, but I can't find it.

There's also an official EASA Certification Memorandum explaining some things.

• Like 1