IO360-A1B6D Square tip prop vs IO360-A3B6D Round tip prop

John Mininger

I have a 1977 M20J, the first model year for the J. The engine was originally an IO360-A1B6D with the squared tipped McCauley prop. At some point, the engine was changed to a A3B6D. And last year I replaced the engine with a rebuilt A3B6 (non-D). I still have the square tip prop.

Does anyone know the reasons and history of why Mooney started the J line with a A1B6D, square tipped McCally, and immediately in the next model year went with the A3B6D and a round tip McCauley?

I can’t say with any degree of certainty as to why they made the change, but I can tell you a square tip prop performs better than a rounded tip but with the added expense of increased noise.

Also, using the -16E Blade May have been a move to Standardize the propellers even though the J has a Lycoming flange an the K’s have Continental flanges.

That was something I never understood about McCauley. 
using the same blade for both 4 an 6 cylinder.

You will never see that with a Hartzell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I am researching this now from a tip by Clarence. I have a 77 with A1 variant. Going up for engine Teardown tomorrow. I have mostly ruled out dropping the D but am wondering if I should have them go through the formalities of an A1 to A3 conversion. If it’s worth anything, and to the OP’s point, why they did it. 

The only way I know to get rid of the D is to exchange the core for a different engine as it’s not a simple modification.

The Mooney SB states that the change in prop indexing made the engine run smoother, so I would do it if it were mine. 

Skip

34 minutes ago, PT20J said:

The only way I know to get rid of the D is to exchange the core for a different engine as it’s not a simple modification.

Note the clarification here before it goes into another D thread (too much D is never good), this is NOT a discussion of D vs Non- D.    It compares:    A1B6(D) vs A3B6(D)     . As further explained in my other thread, this is part of the problem. People see A1B6 and A3B6 and see it as the same thing. Resist fixation on the D (remember, the too much D rule).

Confusion only applies to 1977 J models through SN: 24-0377

27 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

Note the clarification here before it goes into another D thread (too much D is never good), this is NOT a discussion of D vs Non- D.    It compares:    A1B6(D) vs A3B6(D)     . As further explained in my other thread, this is part of the problem. People see A1B6 and A3B6 and see it as the same thing. Resist fixation on the D (remember, the too much D rule).

Confusion only applies to 1977 J models through SN: 24-0377

I understand and only meant my comment as clarification because of your statement: I have mostly ruled out dropping the D, that some might take that to mean that converting to two mags is an option at overhaul. :)

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:02 AM, PT20J said:

The Mooney SB states that the change in prop indexing made the engine run smoother, so I would do it if it were mine. 

Skip

Skip, do you know the SB number?