What should I put here?

While refreshing the interior I’m ditching the ashtrays. This leaves a square hole in the wall just to the left of the pilot yoke. What should I put here?  Any creative ideas out there?

In the rear this was used for the headset jacks but I don’t need that up front  

i could put a placard but won’t be able to read it. Would some sort or mount work here?  Any cool pen holders or something you guys can think of?

image.thumb.jpeg.01ba3a2162170c627d8fce82499a9830.jpeg

4 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

It’s really hard to believe that people used to smoke in these planes. I’ve never been in a small plane when I didn’t smell just a little gasoline fumes. Lol

They weren't quite as old when so many people smoked in them, so they probably weren't leaking quite as much.  ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

It’s really hard to believe that people used to smoke in these planes. I’ve never been in a small plane when I didn’t smell just a little gasoline fumes. Lol

Used to?  Some of us still do....

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

I hear it adds to the fine tobacco flavor.  LOL.  My dad‘s plane went non-smoking in the mid 70s after a passenger’s burning cigarette end landed on the carpet. I wasn’t there, but I’m sure it was exciting.

On 10/16/2020 at 11:57 AM, Nukemzzz said:

When I learned to fly in the 90's a large majority of pilots still smoked while flying. It was like a ritual after the gear came up light a cig. On landing over the fence the cig got set down.  I was flying a Cessna 140 and it was suggested I bring a stogie or two.

More unbelievable to me was that at the time wearing headsets had just become standard. Incredible to image that when most of our Mooneys were built people used hand mics for ATC and no headphones.

-Robert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Watch those holes. I had a DPE refuse a checkride in an Aztec because there was a hole. Apparently there aren't supposed to be holes in panels.

-Robert

As PIC I only allowed a passenger to smoke in my aircraft on one occasion.  The DPE that administered my Instrument check ride back in 1990 wanted to smoke.  I said not in my Mooney.  He then gave me an ultimatum - either I allow him to smoke or I would need to find another DPE.  I relented, and did pass that check ride.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 7:04 PM, RobertGary1 said:

When I learned to fly in the 90's a large majority of pilots still smoked while flying. It was like a ritual after the gear came up light a cig. On landing over the fence the cig got set down.  I was flying a Cessna 140 and it was suggested I bring a stogie or two.

More unbelievable to me was that at the time wearing headsets had just become standard. Incredible to image that when most of our Mooneys were built people used hand mics for ATC and no headphones.

-Robert

When I was little I remember my dad using the handheld mic in his Cessna 175 while listening to the overhead speaker. I don’t see how anyone could understand an overhead speaker in a single engine GA plane...and of course, none of us ever had any hearing protection.  At the time CB radios were common and he talked a lot with truckers on channel 19 on the interstate. Maybe with practice you can make sense of the garbled mess...I have a hard enough time understanding folks at a restaurant table because of background noise, so it’s seems superhuman to me. Lol