Panel upgrade

Flash

Flew to Santa Rosa yesterday to scout out some panel upgrades for my 1993 MSE. Photos attached.

Does anybody have any experience with these radios?

The state-of-the-art technology on these displays seems bulletproof; I could quit worrying about my gas discharge display making my KX 155 and KX 165 unreadable, and I would never get the big red Xs you see on the G1000s.

The big crank should make tuning that ADF a breeze in turbulence.

I'm not sure I have enough space in the panel, though, and weight and balance might be a concern.

I eagerly await receiving the wisdom of the group.

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

Edited by Flash
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

Those radios were old when the wright brothers were in kitty hawk 

Close. They're currently in a Sikorsky H-34 at the Pacific Coast Air Museum. The helicopter was made in the 1950s and was flown into the 1960s and possibly the 70s.

• Like 2

Heck, I flew C-130s until 2008. We had three of those ADF heads in each aircraft.  They were interesting to tune to say the least.  We had two bearing pointers on the ADF display.  It was a great day when they both agreed where the station was.  We just picked one and "parked" the other.  Flying NDB approaches was an everyday event for us, we would even do the full procedure while flying instrument formations, and it was guaranteed to be a requirement for our annual check rides.

I actually still enjoy flying NDBs, when I could find one still in operation.  It's fun to  see the look on the student pilots face after demonstrating one and asking if they want to give it a try.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glafaille said:

Those are manly radios!  Big solid knobs, sturdy switches, even a couple Mooney “press to test” gear lights!  Awesome find.  Junk now but undoubtedly quality stuff in it’s day.  I would bet some would still fire up and work! 

'nipple' knobs and all ;o) 

-Don