Commercial flight over Arctic

Ario

Saw this spectacular sight over Arctic Ocean this morning (or maybe last night California time. 12 hours difference observed in half hour); on a flight to DXB from LAX. One of the clouds looked like a mushroom. Can CB develop over Arctic?

IMG_20201011_0111382.jpg

IMG_20201011_0115021.jpg

IMG_20201011_0115161.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Yep. It is all temperature differential. Even in low temps, you can have differential. Let me tell you something else. Weather changes and moves very fast up there.

Thanks. I wish one day visit the Arctic by a ship. I could see pieces of ice from FL330. Beautiful sight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ario said:

Thanks. I wish one day visit the Arctic by a ship. I could see pieces of ice from FL330. Beautiful sight.

Ice is prettier from FL330 than from 50 msl. In the former, it's something to look at, in the latter it's something to avoid, because the 90% of it that's underwater can put you underwater, too . . . . Boat and all . . . .

• Like 2

One of the most spectacular flights I ever performed was north of Iceland the sea was so calm, the sun behind us. I could see from FL360 the reflection of the airplane in the sea as if it were a mirror. We also saw two sunsets and sunrises as our track changed latitude. I've been up to 5 degrees north. One of the most interesting things about polar flying is the knowledge that if you have a medical emergency, which is the most common emergency in airline flying, you have more medical equipment on board than just about every other alternate airport along your route. Equally so, preflighting the arctic suits in case you divert gets pretty funny.

• Like 2