yours procedures when starting warm CARBURETOR motor (Lycoming O 360, 1977 M20C)

Before shutting down, set the idle for 1000 RPM, don't move it until after it starts.  To restart, brakes on, fuel pump on, engage starter.  When it fires, advance the mixture.  I think this is what the POH says, it works as well as anything.

Edit: Looked in the POH and it doesn't say anything about a hot start.  Maybe I read that here.  It works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always shutdown my C by pulling the mixture, and after the RPM rise I also pull the throttle. Restarting is simple--

• Master On
  • Mixture Rich
  • Pump throttle one time
  • Advance throttle 1/2" (~1 cm)
  • Turn ignition key and push

It will take about twice as long as a cold start, maybe 4-5 seconds to catch. Then set for 1000 RPM and lean the mixture about 2/3 towards Cut Off.

If I've only shutdown a few minutes, like for refueling, I don't pump the throttle any. If it's sat while I ate, then I pump it one time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, David Lloyd said:

Before shutting down, set the idle for 1000 RPM, don't move it until after it starts.  To restart, brakes on, fuel pump on, engage starter.  When it fires, advance the mixture.  I think this is what the POH says, it works as well as anything.

I do the same thing although I don't turn the fuel pump on. I leave the mixture at idle cut-off like you, I have found that if I pump the throttle or leave the mixture rich it takes longer to start.  If I have the throttle all the way out I will push it in about 1/4 inch or so. Once the starter is engaged I start advancing the mixture and  it will usually fire up by the 3rd or 4th blade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I always shutdown my C by pulling the mixture, and after the RPM rise I also pull the throttle. Restarting is simple--

• Master On
  • Mixture Rich
  • Pump throttle one time

It will take about twice as long as a cold start, maybe 4-5 seconds to catch. Then set for 1000 RPM and lean the mixture about 2/3 towards Cut Off.

If I've only shutdown a few minutes, like for refueling, I don't pump the throttle any. If it's sat while I ate, then I pump it one time.

I used to also use this procedure, but became concerned about pumping raw fuel into a hot engine that was not running.

Assuming the engine is still warm, I do not turn on the fuel pump, or pump the throttle at all until I engage the starter.  MIxture rich, throttle position is nearly (but not quite) closed.  As soon as the propeller begins to move indicating the fuel will be sucked into the engine, I pump the throttle once.  The engine catches immediately and runs smoothly at a low idle.  Lean immediately.

There is nothing in the manual to substantiate this procedure.  It is purely personal technique, but I will confirm that it seems to work well.

Edited by Mooneymite

Almost any technique you want for try will work on an o-360. I pump the throttle once, push it in again, and start it lean. Push the mixture in when it fires, and pull the throttle to idle. Nothing has to happen in a hurry.  

Arguably this may be the most forgiving engine ever for hot starts. If you’re having problems with hot starts, get a CFI in the plane with you for a shot. If they have any problem at all, you’ve probably got an ignition problem. 

I've clown a number of injected engines, some of them hopped up way beyond Lycoming’s wildest dreams. Only time I sweated hot starts was on a four cylinder Lycoming pushing 280 HP. 

A well serviced ignition system and a decent carb should fire up easily. Hot, cold, any condition. 

On 10/11/2020 at 7:20 AM, Hank said:

• Master On
  • Mixture Rich
  • Pump throttle one time

Same procedure on my side. If I don't pump the throttle once... she does not start.

Oscar

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 5:57 AM, brndiar said:

Hi,

Would like to know your procedure when starting warm carburator motor.

thanks in advance,

m.

If starting within a few minutes (like a fuel stop, for example) mixture lean; throttle cracked from shutdown ~800 to 1000 rpm; engage starter and mixture rich after start. No fuel pump or throttle pump required.

If more than 90 minutes I will pump throttle only (still no e- fuel pump) and start from lean

starts every time!

now...hot-starting a IO360 is a different story!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Master On
  • Mixture Rich
  • Pump throttle one time

This is exactly what I do and it works every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As others have said easy Peasy but kind of depends on what you consider warm.  Set rpm around 1100 pull mixture to cut off. When ready turn key push mixture in till it fires usually only a couple blades. If it's been more than a few hours give it one pump on the throttle and do the same procedure as before. Always works for our C

4 hours ago, bonal said:

As others have said easy Peasy but kind of depends on what you consider warm.  Set rpm around 1100 pull mixture to cut off. When ready turn key push mixture in till it fires usually only a couple blades. If it's been more than a few hours give it one pump on the throttle and do the same procedure as before. Always works for our C

Similar procedure....... except I enrich mixture prior to initiating start.   

14 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Similar procedure....... except I enrich mixture prior to initiating start.   

But how do you know just how far to push it in. If it's cranking as you enrich then it fires as soon as ideal mixture is reached. Guess it's about what works best for the individual. It's all good 

Just now, bonal said:

But how do you know just how far to push it in. If it's cranking as you enrich then it fires as soon as ideal mixture is reached. Guess it's about what works best for the individual. It's all good 

Simple, I push it to Full Rich before turning the key.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bonal said:

I try to avoid full rich for any idle speeds because of plug fouling would rather find sweet spot from the lean side of the spectrum but that's just me. Snoopy is very sensitive that way.

Full rich, start engine, set RPM, pull mixture 2/3 or more towards ICO. Full rich is for starting, Takeoff and Landing only.

Pretty much no lead whenever I pull the plugs.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hank said:

Full rich, start engine, set RPM, pull mixture 2/3 or more towards ICO. Full rich is for starting, Takeoff and Landing only.

Pretty much no lead whenever I pull the plugs.

Thanks a lot.

Hopefully not off topic:

1633921628_MinimalLeaningchecklist.thumb.jpg.c867c4920e0ae96c5fa0b3b2b3bdb614.jpg

More here

lg,

M

1 hour ago, bonal said:

I push mixture all the way in, don’t move throttle, start.  It’s the same as a normal start, except no electric pump activation.   

I'm really enjoying this thread. 

Finally!  A thread about starting the O-360 with lots of different techniques; all of them work!

I was feeling so left out of all those threads about starting IO-360s where apparently, the only successful technique involves voodoo and secret incantations. :ph34r: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

After a short break (works for me): 

-I do not touch Throttle (remains where it was, when I turned out the engine, cca 1000 RPM)

-Mixture ICO

-Short Activate electric Pump (just to make fuel Pressure), 

-Crank Engine and simultaneously move Mixture forward, till engine fire

-lean the mixture

Lg, M

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

I'm really enjoying this thread. 

Finally!  A thread about starting the O-360 with lots of different techniques; all of them work!

I was feeling so left out of all those threads about starting IO-360s where apparently, the only successful technique involves voodoo and secret incantations. :ph34r: :lol:

Ours are as easy to start as theirs are difficult! Seems like no matter how you do it, an O-360 will crank (hot or cold!).

When I blend Brndiar’s accelerator pump video with Hank’s advice...

My O360 would have started more predictably with an accelerator pump that worked properly... :)

A carb OH would have been a great idea...

I needed MS to start about 10 years sooner...

Best regards,

-a-