Battery or Magneto Help

ValkyrieRider

Wanted to give a little update:

I didn't get back to the airport until today.  I put the battery on a charger and ensured it was fully charged.  I reinstalled it into the plane and attempted to start it and after turning the ignition all the way and pushing in I only got a click.  Tried it about four times with just a click and decided to stop.  Had Cutter come out and try to jump it so I can determine if it is a battery issue or beyond the batter.  After two attempts the propeller turned and everything started up normally.  I taxied around the airport and did a complete run-up and then shut down.  I decided to try to restart it after the shutdown and it started first time.  

I am going to go to the airport tomorrow and hopefully it will start normally so I can take it up and run it through some paces.  But it seems maybe the battery was just drained down beyond the ability to start.  

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ValkyrieRider said:

Wanted to give a little update:

I didn't get back to the airport until today.  I put the battery on a charger and ensured it was fully charged.  I reinstalled it into the plane and attempted to start it and after turning the ignition all the way and pushing in I only got a click.  Tried it about four times with just a click and decided to stop.  Had Cutter come out and try to jump it so I can determine if it is a battery issue or beyond the batter.  After two attempts the propeller turned and everything started up normally.  I taxied around the airport and did a complete run-up and then shut down.  I decided to try to restart it after the shutdown and it started first time.  

I am going to go to the airport tomorrow and hopefully it will start normally so I can take it up and run it through some paces.  But it seems maybe the battery was just drained down beyond the ability to start.  

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!

Maybe that’s true and I definitely hope it works out for you, but keep an eye on that starter solenoid...

• Like 5

So I went back to the airport today and the plane started easily the first time.  I flew it from KDVT (Deer Valley) to KIWA (Mesa-Gateway), and then returned and the plane started quickly both times.  I agree with @Ragsf15e that I should be aware of a possible Solenoid issue, and will most likely get it checked sooner rather than later, but as for now, seems like the battery was the problem and it is holding a charge, so far.

• Like 2

Relays have a way of getting dirty inside... each time they operate, a spark occurs internally... the spark knocks off a micro small amount of metal from the contacts...

It would be smart to know where this relay is mounted... in the event you need to whack it with something... :)

Starter relays today... are sealed devices... so there is no cleaning, or OH, even possible...

Fortunately, it should misbehave a lot before leaving you stranded...

Continue planning for its replacement... this way you will have one with you when it finally gives up the ghost...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...stuff I have read around here...

Best regards,

-a-

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

Relays have a way of getting dirty inside... each time they operate, a spark occurs internally... the spark knocks off a micro small amount of metal from the contacts...

It would be smart to know where this relay is mounted... in the event you need to whack it with something... :)

Starter relays today... are sealed devices... so there is no cleaning, or OH, even possible...

Fortunately, it should misbehave a lot before leaving you stranded...

Continue planning for its replacement... this way you will have one with you when it finally gives up the ghost...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...stuff I have read around here...

Best regards,

-a-

Wise counsel as always ... you sure you are just a PP?

Again, thank you for your help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1