Oxygen: Extravagant, Optional, or Essential?

EchoMax

I know, I know!  This topic has reappeared on a regular basis, but in a partial perusal of previous posts, I have not found the answer to my question:  What is the most cost-effective oxygen solution for a normally aspirated E?

Bob Belville used a passive Aerox system with pendant cannulae and a 22 or 24 cu ft aluminum cylinder (not sure which, E or jumbo D), but that has been removed from his former aircraft that we inherited, The Gypsy Rose, or N943RW.

I'm planning to install or share a hanger refill station at some point, but I'm not sure what hardware and plumbing I would need.  I plan to get two welding O2 tanks from the local AirGas, etc.  All that is in the future.

In the meantime, thanks for all of your suggestions for upgrading N943RW.

As it turns out, the single suggestion that I am most interested in implementing immediately is the one that I originally dismissed the most quickly: oxygen!

Striving for what I consider to be the “best value” on the cheap, my budget is simultaneously liberal and frugal.

22 cu ft seems to be the sweet spot. Aluminum is the best value. Kevlar, etc. is ridiculously expensive and has a limited 15-year lifespan...Yuck! Jumbo D is much shorter but slightly thicker and about the same capacity as E (22 vs 24 cu ft), and slightly more expensive, but I like the form factor much better.

I don’t have refill yet at my hangar, so I want to have two tanks to swap out.

I am considering:

https://gascylindersource.com/shop/industrial-cylinders/industrial-oxygen-cylinders/22-cu-ft-aluminum-oxygen-cylinder/

$111 ($95 plus $16 shipping)

Vertical valve and gauge:

https://gascylindersource.com/shop/gas-cylinder-valves/oxygen-valves/cga540-vertical-outlet-valve-with-gauge/

$50

This is optional, but a gauge is desirable somewhere in the system, and I feel more comfortable with the vertical option: less of a lever arm to break it off. Anyway, all of the “professional” aviation systems that I have seen use a vertical valve. The gauge by itself I have seen from $10-20, assuming the right size (1/8 vs ¼”) and assuming that the existing valve has a gauge port. It’s not always easy to figure out online. Maybe I can reuse the supplied horizontal valve somewhere else, in the hangar perhaps.

O2D2: Having read some, but not all, of the voluminous posts on this topic, you guys have convinced me:  I will justify it as a health and safety issue for which no justification is necessary. It’s on the order of one AMU, or a pair of Bose headphones.

We don’t usually fly with more than two people, so I’m favoring the one-place regulator (for two people with the O2D2) over the four-place regulator (to use with the occasional backseat passenger, generic constant-flow nasal cannula, not O2D2) at a savings of $135.

What about…

O2D2 System (EDS, Regulator, Cylinder)  SKU: 00EDS-2062-02

Compressed Gas Connector Type:  CGA540 (USA)
Number of Stations:  2P
Cylinder Model:  AL-647  ($1325)

I am looking at:

E-Z Breathe-II Boom Cannula for EDS-Pulse Demand (One Touch) connector ($100)

https://www.mhoxygen.com/product/cannula-e-z-breathe-ii-eds/

Nice idea, but is it worth it?

How high do you fly? I am fully aware of the teaching that you can lose some night vision even at 8,000.  But frankly, I am 71 and I don't notice any lack of O2 until at least 12,000, and then it needs to be a flight of an hour or more before I feel anything.  If you are going above the regulatory limits (12.5 for times over a half hour and any amount of time over 14k), yes, you bet, but how often will you fly there?

Once you start using oxygen for long trips, trips at night, and anything over 10,000 feet you will not fly without it.  

O2D2 is great, and essential.  I have 50 cubic feet of O2 as built-in, and with myself alone, I flew 38 hours in 2 weeks last summer and did not even get close to 1/2 tank.  It is also comforting hearing and feeling the breaths.  

If you use the O2D2, you will not need a 2 place regulator as you will use the Mountain High regulator (really pressure reducer) in-line to the O2D2.  Then 2 people can come off the O2D2.

You should have a gauge that is visible from the pilot's seat.  The type of tank, valve etc... is likely less important.  If you are using portable O2, go aluminum.

As for the transfill tanks and equipiment, buy everything from an on-line welder's supply.  

The Mountain High website will give you some hints of what you might like to have.  

The welder's supply will sell you the same stuff for 1/2 the cost.

John Breda

• Like 1

So...

O2 is a great idea...

Extravagant... if you never fly above 5k’ in daylight hours...

Optional... if you are in really good health, and never exceed 12.5 k’...

Essential... if you like to fly above 12.5 k’for extended periods of time...

Monitoring your dissolved O2 in your blood stream is important...  Have a spare O2 meter on board...

Expect to notice effects of low O2 on flights of an hour or more...

Of you don’t have an AP, and don’t use O2... you can find these two can combine to really tire a pilot out... even in the mid 30s...

If going higher than 12.5k’, have a good back-up system as well...

Bob did a great job of discussing building his trans fill station...

Be aware of safety issues while being new to O2... Flammability and oil/grease...

If flying solo, you have plenty of time to figure out what is best for you...

So many personal preferences from Canulas to masks with mics....

Tank capacity size probably comes after having the O2D2 or not...

Lots of info around here, but still lots of personal decision to make...

Start simple... it will take years to see any financial benefit to having complex systems...

Probably helps to find a good source of o2 supply nearby...

Great topic for discussion!

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, jlunseth said:

How high do you fly? I am fully aware of the teaching that you can lose some night vision even at 8,000.  But frankly, I am 71 and I don't notice any lack of O2 until at least 12,000, and then it needs to be a flight of an hour or more before I feel anything.  If you are going above the regulatory limits (12.5 for times over a half hour and any amount of time over 14k), yes, you bet, but how often will you fly there?

With respect, I think you’d be very surprised what you’re missing.  Mild hypoxia creeps up, there really aren’t telltale symptoms at those altitudes but mental and visual acuity are definitely reduced.  Additionally, fatigue is noticeably less with oxygen.

If you don’t believe me, try a simple $30 oxymeter while you’re cruising at 10,000’ and see what your pulse/ox is. I suspect it’ll be 90% +\-.  Not terrible, but worth O2 when available.

• Like 1

Everyone is different, I use o2 at 8000’ during the day my saturation is at 90, my wife doesn’t use until 13,000’ where she is 90, a huge difference. I used to get headaches blaming them on the headsets. Once I started using  oxygen the headaches stopped.

I carry boost f someone needs a shot quickly

48C42B83-7B32-4316-8C32-ED8D3415801F.png

• Like 2

I would suggest just flying more and see whether not having O2 restricts you very much.   You may be fine without it or only need it once in a while.   Part of this is how you personally react to altitude and the sort of flying you wind up doing.   Nobody is the same in either sensitivity to altitude or what sort of flying they wind up doing, so only you can accurately sort out what you might really need or not need, and that will help decide what sort of equipment would be best for you.

I have two different portable systems, one is simpler and only supports one person, the other is a little more complicated but can support two people.   On the rare occasions where I think I might need one, I'll bring it along, but that's not very often.

• Like 1