what other aviation forums do you visit?

rbridges

I've really enjoyed reading these boards, and I have learned a ton.  It amazes me how much info is contained in such a (relatively) small group of people.

Anyway, are there other aviation forums you guys go to on a regular basis?  It's nice hearing stuff besides the same gibberish at the local FBO.Laughing

You'll find the account and online identity policies very strict on many of these other sites. I love Mooneyspace....buuuuttt.....

In many other aviation chat sites, you'll need to give your real name and e-mail address and not be allowed to hide in the anonymity of screen names. You'll notice on many of these other sites too, the political tirades and passive agressive sparring are at a minimal.

Quote: rbridges

I've really enjoyed reading these boards, and I have learned a ton.  It amazes me how much info is contained in such a (relatively) small group of people.

Anyway, are there other aviation forums you guys go to on a regular basis?  It's nice hearing stuff besides the same gibberish at the local FBO.Laughing

Quote: N4352H

You'll find the account and online identity policies very strict on many of these other sites. I love Mooneyspace....buuuuttt.....

In many other aviation chat sites, you'll need to give your real name and e-mail address and not be allowed to hide in the anonymity of screen names. You'll notice on many of these other sites too, the political tirades and passive agressive sparring are at a minimal.

Quote: Hank

Even though posters here aren't required to use real identies [like your own  Cool ], most people are pretty well-mannered. Ever had a job where you dealt directly with the public every day?

AOPA Forums ge quite nasty compared to here, and the knowledge base of the posters is far less . . . There are only a few political tirades here, and I just quit reading them. Every forum has topics that set people off--check the two MAPA boards about ROP/LOP, or even other threads here.

Overall, I would give this site at least an "A" for behaviour, if not "A+"! Sometimes I get on my soapbox, sometimes I just have bad days and post anyway. But I do try to not be aggressive or personal even then.

Like a drug addiction, I can't cut loose of Moony Talk lists after about 14 years, although I have about 500 old digests I haven't read/deleted yet. I get the basic, tech and long body lists, and fly through the 90% of the BS as fast as possible. There is some good technical information at times, but you've got to kiss lots of frogs to get there. Mooneyspace is much better IMHO, especially for relatively new Mooney drivers.

Like much on the Internet and in life, they have so many conflicting opinions, you just wind up confused many times. Those who talk most aren't always correct, opinions are stated as fact and arguments result, and there's even one ubiquitous dentist there. drinking smiley

A handful of people live on those lists so much it's a wonder they have anytime to fly, but there are the 5 or 6 best shops in America contributing also.

Quote: Hank

Even though posters here aren't required to use real identies [like your own  Cool ], most people are pretty well-mannered. Ever had a job where you dealt directly with the public every day?

AOPA Forums ge quite nasty compared to here, and the knowledge base of the posters is far less . . . There are only a few political tirades here, and I just quit reading them. Every forum has topics that set people off--check the two MAPA boards about ROP/LOP, or even other threads here.

As a charter member of the Beech Aero Club (Baby Beech club), they have a forum similar to this and it is GREAT for the passing of information relative to procedures and parts for those airplanes. Since Beech stopped making them, some parts are hard to come by (e.g. Landing gear heavy stuff) but the group always finds for those in need.

I suspect that unless Mooney re-opens for parts at least, we will be in the same situation in a few years.  Some simple Beech parts are quoted as $3000-4000 and lead times of 12-18 months.  Many can be found in scrap yards or re-manufactured for less (yoke bushings for example). Those who rely on a mechanic to find the part may find themselves waiting for a year and paying $3k for Beech to re-make the part.

These "type club" forums are invaluable for passing the information we see.  This forum is especially nice since it splits the vintage from the "new" and one does not have to trudge thru posts that are unrelated.

It's only as good as it's mentors. Keep up the GREAT work !

Dr BILL