Cracked tailpipe

The-sky-captain

Today I noticed that my tailpipe is cracked about halfway down from where it attaches to the muffler. Two questions... where can I find a replacement and what approximate cost is reasonable? I would like to be able to just get one shipped to me as I don't think that the one I have is salvagable. I've got a 77 J. Thanks.

Moodychief- Thanks for the info.

FYI to those of you that have not had a cracked tail pipe here are a few things to look for. FWIW I always include checking the tail pipe in my preflight which includes looking up inside with a flashlight and giving it the wiggle test. It always passed with flying colors. It cracked aft of the 2nd bracket that is attached to the firewall and had traveled 3/4 of the way around the pipe. It probably would have broken completely in the next flight or so. Don Maxwell mentioned today that this is a weak spot and doesn't recommend putting the firewall bracket back on because of this. He said that the one bracket down by the cowl flap is sufficient. I always change my oil and make it a routine to check for various cracks and imperfections at this time when the cowlings are off. That being said the last oil change was exactly 2 months and 40 hours ago. Apparently it doesn't take much time for something like this to crop up. With the winter months coming up and carbon monoxide issues more prevelant make sure to take an hour or so to check it out. The grand total for a brand new one from Maxwell was only $258 plus and hour or so for my local mechanic to remove the old one and install the new one.

I always walk around with a screwdriver to open the oil door, after a visual and a shake I use it to "Ping" the exhaust pipe - a cracked or loose pipe will sound different.

I also had a crack in the muffler that didn't make itself known until I opened the heat for defrost one damp morning - so now I pull the side cowlings every 25 inspect the gaskets and pull the skeet tube off of the firewall and look inside for a tell tale white dusting.  Also if a slip joint is leaking it is readily apparent on the inside of the side cowlings.