Crazy event in Philly - Probably fits best in the Safety forum on "Migratory Birdspace.com"

DXB

I'd never considered the issues birds might have with IMC.  This crazy event in Philly last Friday kinda sounds like an en masse CFIT accident for scud running migratory birds hitting skyscrapers in Philly . 

https://www.inquirer.com/news/birds-center-city-philadelphia-audubon-october-2-2020-20201007.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&cid=Philly.com+Facebook&utm_campaign=Philly.com+Facebook+Account&fbclid=IwAR3FiRhpeateOcYe9z4VmMISiJOB1TAuulL6R9CaVS1dMIiVUCDmOZc898Q

image.thumb.png.c2619dad5b3afdd7fafe0971f50f5d85.png

My wife and I are big back yard birders. We live on a lake and we have all kinds of birds, from red crested wood peckers to gold finches. The Gold Finches (the yellow ones) seem to be the worst at navigating glass and bad weather. They hit the windows of our house all the time in the winter. I have found most the time they are knocked out, and just need a little TLC. I usually put them in the green house which is 78 degrees and warm them up. Most birds, especially migratory birds seem burn a lot of calories in cold weather (because my feed bill goes way up) so often they have low blood sugar, which I think contributes to their confusion in navigation. If they are still lethargic, I give them a little humming bird nectar through a dropper and they perk right up and eventually fly away. There is an occasional injury such as broken wing which breaks my heart as the bird has to be dispatched quickly, but it is better than suffering demise by predators.

• Like 1

Me too. No lake, but I had a hawk perched on my skylight in the ceiling over my kitchen yesterday. He is a frequent visitor. I have about a hundred twenty on my backyard list, from Trumpeters to hummingbirds. My house gets hit once in awhile but they usually get back up and fly away.